I can't find employees.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troblandscape, Jan 12, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I currently have around 90 acounts about half of them I do complete maininence, on a the others I just cut the lawn. I have been trying to get a cutting crew together for the past two years. I can not seem to have found someone that I could trust to go out with my truck and equipment and do the tasks that I have assigned for that day. It seems in this bussiness the employees come and go. How is everyone else doing it ?? I am willing to pay the crewleader 14$ hr. is that to low...

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Talk to LGF. He is in this program that hires hispanics, which are very hard workers IMO.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Welcome to LawnSite. I think $14hr is good for a crew leader. You could do a search on here for hiring employees. You'll get ideas on how to screen applicants better, what kind of questions to ask them to get a better idea of the type of person they are and worker they will be.

By the way, where abouts in Philly are you? I'm in Yardley, Bucks County.

Good luck.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

What are you offering besides $14 per hour? Can you keep them busy in the winter months? The winter is the best time to be recruiting, provided that you can keep the guys busy.

5. Clayton800

Clayton800 LawnSite Member

Hispanic help is the ONLY way to go

6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

$14 per hour....not bad at all. Finding the right "kinds" of people, then selling them on your mission, and training them according to how you want things done....sounds simple....but it's not. I would check into labor options from some of the associations.

7. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

$14 a hour in my area is WAY to high. Crew leaders are topping out around $10 here. Money is not the only problem in finding a good employee........Do a search on this site and you'll find lots of information.

8. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

you really want hard workers. Put down money on a 20k house in the city and give thema place to live and they will live there and work for you. Show them where to get groceries and shop for stuff like drug stores and show them where all the other mexicans live and you got it made. Other vise die in the mildering sun while every big company with good laborers drives circles around you and your competition.

OR you could bring in a partner and split some of the profit and 1099 him at the end of the year. This is motivating and gets people working harder. you will not be able to keep regular employess interested without some kind of set pay. Pay anyone by the hour and you will loose. You have to subcontract out labor to a partner and thats the best way to do it. Or they will milk the clock or not work long enough to get throught the job or show up and take breaks. This way you can go slow and they can go fast. Get it! you need to check their work so you need to go a little slower to be aware of things.

Bedros

9. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

If you hire any hispanics just make sure atleast one of them speaks english and don't worry about the rest. Also make sure that the drivers of your vehicles are legal aliens and that they have valid driver's license. A mexican driver's license doesn't count in the US. I will have to admit that the hispanics are some of the hardest working people I have ever seen and don't complain about anything.

10. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I agree $14.00 is extremly high. How are you going to ever give him a raise? If you can afford 14$ I would pay him 10 and give him a little bonus every month, or week. In your situation, I don't know.

Another thing I had a hard time learning is that, Employees are not going to perform job tasks like you. Everybody has their own style. That is where that bonus comes in. They do something you like, you give a kick back.