i cant freaking stand family memebers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, May 23, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

dont you guys hate it when family memebers tell you stuff that makes no sense, or ask questions. i cant stand it. im like "that is why i am in the business, because i dont have to ask questions" im sooo sick and tired of em asking me questions, now i dont even talk about my biz, i say "its my biz, dont tell me what to do, if all goes wrong, then all i have to blame is myself, not you"

i just cant stand it, cant stand taking advice from unprofessionals. also, if im surfing this site, they're like "wtf is so hard about cutting lawns, why do you need to have a fourm about it"

sry, i just needed to VENT. i cant take family members anymore

2. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

Have been in a similiar situation. 3 years ago I got laid off from my job. My Dad said "come work for me". I worked for 2 years under constant pressure. Dad says "I don't think you are cut out to be a mason". Anyhow now I cut grass for a living. The other night Dad says " both my cutoff saws died". "When you get a chance can you fix them ?" Now perhaps I'm not the greatest cement mixer or rock layer but his equipment was in top notch shape ! He litterly throws his saws around and once broke one in half ! Saw was fixed. Guess what Dad ? I ain't got time !!!!!!!!!!

My Dad laughed when I decided to start my own business. "What are you going to use for a truck" he says. I said my FORD !. "Hah" he says. "You need to clean it up". My FORD may not be pretty but it serves me well. Unfortunately FORD doesn't have a good manual transmission anymore. At least they still offer manual hubs. The Hand Grenade of America doesn't.

As a side note Dad's lawn has never looked better since I have been mowing it.

I needed to vent too !

3. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

There was a time when my family would offer me all their advise, snicker at me, and always question what I was doing. There was always comments made on the sly. Well as the years went on and they see where I am at now, how I got here, and where I am going, they come tome for my advise. Go figure.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

same with me

5. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

yep, I always felt the family didn't take my biz serious enough at first, thinking it was a way not to have to work a "real" job. Well now I think they see I've made it threw 3 seasons and am growing every year. Now everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon and get involved somehow with my business.

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

My parents were the only ones who had any faith in me. They took out an equity loan on their house to give me all the start up money. With out the encouragement of my parents, I definatly would not be where I am today.

Of course they live 5000 km away so its hard for them to try and tell me what they think is best.

7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know... my parents think this is a joke!

I can't believe it, i just brush them off.

They say ohhh.. you can't make any money doing this... its a joke!! why dont you get into computer programming..

I laff..

8. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

tell em because you don't want to live in India! :mad:

9. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, EZTarget that is soooo true!!!! All of my computer programming teachers at OU were always Indian or middle eastern hahaha.

10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

my parents were the only ones who semi supported me.

grandfather seemed to think/say "you dont need to spend $5000 on a lawn mower. GO BUY YOURSELF SOME OF THEM PUSH ONES." I just swept all those comments under the rug, and now they realize i am gonna be a millionaire tomorrow they all come to me for money

trevor