I cant make myself buy an f150

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TPnTX, Jan 5, 2009.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Im looking for a used truck. I want a GM/Chev and have a few Im considering.
    There is a real good deal on an 06 F150. I simply can't make myself do it.

The brakes, the mpg, the overall poor consumer reviews. I sure hate it because I actually like the truck.

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Poor consumer reviews? What are you reading?? The F-150 is one of the best half tons on the market! Tows great, has a fantastic ride, Gets good fuel economy for a truck. Super quiet on the inside. Best built truck hands down. So whats the problem?

3. TPnTX

Not a Ranger an F150 :)

4. TPnTX

edmunds talking about the 04 - 07? thats one
    In reviews, we found this generation Ford F-150 to be the best in the long history of the pickup. Ride and handling were excellent, and the interiors were attractive and functional. Acceleration and braking, however, were lackluster, and we often found the F-150, even with larger engines, to be underpowered relative to the competition. The truck's heft and old-school four-speed transmissions didn't help.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Eh who cares what edmunds says...I care about what i have seen personally. I have a bud on here (woody8296 i think) He bought an 05 the same time i bought my dodge, and that truck has been perfect. Im sure hell correct me but its got around 150k on it with zero problems. Ive driven it multiple times and it is better than any other truck ive driven. Plenty of power. Go drive one. Your mind will be changed. Very very comfortable trucks. All the bumps you hit feel like youre getting a message. You want an even better one, drive the 09 F-150! Superb truck there!

6. is these the same people that right movie reviews, when they say a movie is bad is when they are good.

7. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have one, 2007 F150 4X4 CC Lariat.

MPG is fine if you keep your foot out of it. Not sure about the poor consumer reviews-my truck has been flawless since purchase. Driving it compared to my 2003 F350 is like stepping into a limousine. Ride is firm w/o being overly so and the noise level is very low.

I can assure that I would much rather have an 06 F150 than any 06 GM 1500 series.

You can work the F150 harder than the other two.

But its your money and if want the other trucks then have at it. I care not what you drive.

Just ask yourself which truck you see more of in work environments-F150 or the other ones.

Finally, I am confused. You like the truck but are willing to base your purchase decision on everyone else's opinion of the truck and negate your own.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are not used to the Fords, It'll take some time. They feel like the emergency brake is on, but it is not. My 05 F 150 gets about 8-12 mpg empty no towing.I'm not a Ford hater I own 4 of them. They just could and should be a lot better.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

You can always go to Edmonds for good or bad reviews their is no perfect truck. Look at what others are towing with. The F-150 has been a top seller for at least 40 years. Have you not realized these truck wars have been going on for years!!! Their all good

10. TPnTX

[But its your money and if want the other trucks then have at it. I care not what you drive.]
    [Finally, I am confused. You like the truck but are willing to base your purchase decision on everyone else's opinion of the truck and negate your own. ]

well I'm so glad you told me that. It a real load off my mind to know you're not going to lose any sleep.

and no I just made an fng thread.

anyway, the cars.com is stuck it won't open up all the reviews anymore. Isn't it fairly commom knowledge that the Ford gas milage is a joke? ]
    I had a couple of heritage fords they where junk after a few years.

Frontend problems drinking gas.

On the 06, I've read many reports about how bad the brakes are. I don't know I just read it.

I got an 03 Avalanche which isn't a truck it's Suburban with a patio. My sister in law has an 03 Expedition. Both have been used about the same. The Ford is a piece.

I just like chevys always have. I've got a 98 Z71. Its fine other than the leather is decaying and it has no 3rd door which is driving me crazy. So when the 06 Ford caught my eye, I started reading the reviews...horrific gas milage over and over. I thought "same ole Ford"

Back in 92 I bought an f150. That thing got 13 mpg driving like a granny.

I had an 02 Silverado that got great gas milage. I wish I still had it. You can throw a stick and hit someone who will tell you the GM Vortec gets great milage. You never hear that about a f150.
    I think the 06 is a slick truck though.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009