1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I can't see the foundation yet...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Team-Green L&L, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, this is not my situation but I don't want it ever to become mine either, so...

How do you "CYA" on foundation excavation. My mentor stopped doing hardscaping (with a $25 mil yr. business) due to a situation where a homeowner blamed them for a crack in the foundation of their home. Now, he states that the damage was pre-existing and the homeowners were out of town and could not be contacted to report it.

Well, when it was all said and done, he paid for the repairs in excess of $8000.00 because, as he quotes, "the referral is worth the loss". Personally, I can't pay $8000 for a referral. If something like this happened to me I would probably feel that loss for a couple months.

So, how do we, as hardscapers, protect ourselves from being blamed for foundation damages?
  2. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

Write in the contract 'we are not responsible for cracks in your foundation.' We do it with driveways.
  3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

If you were responsible for cracks to a foundation, your liability insurance should be covering it. You do carry insurance don't you?
  4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you be doing to crack a foundation?
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd let insurance mess w/ it.