1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I cant seem to drain my oil, HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thefed, Jul 29, 2007.

1. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

2. thefed

from Ohio

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

picture doesn't come up.

without seeing your picture, I believe i have something similar. And that brass nipple is the stop. You have to push in and turn it at the same time, and it will pop out relieving the oil, to make the oil flow.
    Push in and turn the opposite way to get it to shut again.
    Make sure your oil is on the hot side, that way it flows freely.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Those come factory on tractors. But I bought mine aftermarket for my Kohler, so when I change my oil, I didn't get oil all over the machine. It works out pretty good.

5. thefed

from Ohio

turns out the brass fitting is threaded...its really wierd....just a 1/4" nub of brass, cylinder shaped and hollow in the middle. i grabbed it with vice grips (after hammering, prying, poking, pulling) and unthreaded it pretty easily

definately jury rigged tho!
  6. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

mine is like that but all i do is take a 10mm wrench and turn to the left and then turn with hand.open all the way,it has a stop made on it so it wont come out all the way.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like the same setup as on my 15hp Kawasaki...I guess your brass screw must have been overtighted initially.
  8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i have that on my 15 kawi as well ... i really hate it because im paronoid it will come off mid lawn . really, its not that hard to loosen a plug instead.

anyway, i push mine in and turn it so the little nub it lined up with the groove so the whole thing could be pulled off IF i want (a mess) .. i then have to pull it off about 1/16" - 1/8" or so, so it will start flowing ... just enough so that it flows without it being so far off that it leaks out the back and all over.

i did the same thing you did the first time. just pull it off very very slow to find the spot where it flows through the hose you have attached without coming out behind it and all over.

i also put a 2" peice of hose on it with a wad of paper towel in it so crap doesnt get inside it while mowing.
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

My 23 HP Kawasaki has a drain hose ---- it has a fitting with a brass plug in the end. The fitting takes a 3/4" wrench to hold it --- the plug is turned with an 11/16" wrench.