1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I can't sleep! I think that I am going to have a panic attack!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, May 1, 2007.

1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

So we have tons of work to do right. One of my guys is leaving in a couple of weeks to take a job in Tennessee. Well, between now and then there is a lot of work to get done. In addition, I have a conference that I am leaving for on Saturday and will not be back until Thursday. At this present time he is the only guy that can drive a truck and trailer. I say all that to set this up.

I let him know that we have a mulch job tomorrow, a clean up the next day, and tons more work ahead for this week, and not to mention all the lawns that we still have to cut. I have been letting everyone know for the past week all the work that we had planned. He tells me today in the middle of the work day that he didn't think that he would be able to work tomorrow. No explanation, nothing. Just said that he would let me know for sure by later tonight. He called and left a message saying that he couldn't work tomorrow. Now, knowing that we have all this work piled up and that I am going away that makes me feel really uncomfortable. What if he decides that he doesn't feel like working while I am away? I can't even get to estimates and do what I need to do I am so busy in the field with these guys. I feel sick:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: . Just had to get that off my chest!

He has always been a hard worker when he is working, but I think he has other things on his mind.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I worry, too, but what can you do?

Last year we had this almost-a-drought, it was pretty dry and I was worried sick, turned out to be my best financial year ever. :confused:

This year my customers are at an all-time low and dropping like flies because I refuse to work for pitas and I'm not doing no crap jobs, and I am so worried it will be another rough year, getting to where I see me compromising myself all over again :cry:

But it will be ok, some kind of way we will both survive, just not sure how :laugh:
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like you could use my help Rob :)
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Brother Rod, I could always use your help.:)
  5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

I hear ya Top. My wife says the same thing. I believe it will be alright as well. No matter what the outcome it will be alright.:laugh: :dizzy: :laugh:
  6. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for reminding me why I work in 3's. Me myself and I. I would love to grow but hiring and depending on others is alot more frustrati0n than I'm willing have. Good luck to you both! If we were closer we could help each other out.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I thought in another post you were doing good? Sorry to hear about the headaches.
  8. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I am not going on any trips but it is about the same for me, a guy just didn't come in and one of his buddies told me he wasn't coming in anymore. That was yesterday.

OH WELL :walking:

Today a guy calls and says he hears I was hiring - guess what dude your right come on in.

My wife and I were up at 4 this morning when we should of been sleeping because of the same problems.

Just gotta get stronger every day in every way :weightlifter:
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say it is a bad time to attend a conference for 5 days uh? I think the minute he told you he was leaving in two weeks you lost him. Doubt you will get much if any more work out of him. Get on it and hire some guys who can drive or forget about the conference, it won't pay your bills but staying home might. Don't panic! Remain calm and sort out your options.
  10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

where in NJ are you?...if its not too far i could give you a hand on weekends