1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I cant win

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bohiaa, Jun 8, 2007.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

so a lady calls me up last night at 10:00 pm....

YES ten pm..... BLA BLA BAL all the useual, so. I agree to give her a bid today.....

I went and it was crap....weeds all in the front yard. "they live in a trailer"

in places knee high
    looks like they have about 30 to 40 acers. the neabor cuts it with the brush hog...... But he wont cut up arond the house.....

Not a lot to cut on my part.

I REALLY DIDNT want it...... so I gave her an estimate. of 380.00....

knowing that's wayyyy to high..... she says ok Do you work on Saturdays..

I do NOW.........:cry:

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Beats sitting at home and $380 in the pocket to boot.:drinkup:

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

make sure you get a contract signed. I'd hate for you to get stiffed working on a Saturday. I'd also get prepayment when you show up the first time so they don't leave while you're working.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That is great! But why do you have to do it on Satuday? I only work weekends when I HAVE to or I feel like it. Otherwise, I spend time with the wife and kids, do paper work, and equipment maintenance.
    Is that $380 per month or per cut?

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

They live in a trailer and let their yard get out of control, but they are going to pay 380 to have their yard mowed up around their trailer. You said not a lot of mowing, what does that mean 20 minutes of mowing? It sounds like they want a free cut to me.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Beware of late callers, they have no respect for you out the door. I say forget it!

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I did a one time cut for a guy living in a crappy trailer with a crappy little trailer lot. I bid it high. He said OK (over the phone). I was weary of the whole thing. But when I showed up to do it, he had left a money order for the amount taped to his front door. I would do it again, no doubt.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm just wondering why you answered the phone at 10pm....not normal biz hours. Anyway if you make a good chunk of change, that's good.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

na it'a a one timer...

it may be like 2 to 3 hrs cutting time...
    I'm kind of full for weekly cuts, not really taking on any more customers unless, it's a real good one.
    there is just no way I could fit it in anywhere, they have family comming in on Monday, she really wanted it done on SAturday. today....

yup Great money, it's just one of those things that I really dont wanna do..
    I just never thought they would go for it......

lesson learned, next time I dont want one.... bit it at 500.00

10. Wolfbass

Wolfbass LawnSite Member

If you are sure you don't want the job, don't try to avoid it by bidding too high--just tell the customer you are not interested and leave it at that.