I caught a thief last night!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last night some idiot tried to rob my trailor while I was sitting on my porch. My truck and trailor were parked directly in front of my house, across the street. There is no street lights so he could not see me, but I saw him. I watched this jerk walk past my trailor three times. Then a car pulled up and parked a little bit down the road with his lights off. This guy then walked over, inbetween the truck and trailor and started to pull my tarp up. I screamed hey, what the hell are you doing? He shouted back that he dropped something, as he sprinted to his car dove in and sped off. Funny, I wonder how he managed to drop something in my tarped up trailor at 11:30 at night. I called the police as soon as I could get to the phone. I had a good description of the car but no plate. I doubt they catch the a-hole. Just a reminder to all to be careful!!!

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you shoulve called the cops not letting him know you were there, that way he wouldve been caught in the act. was he trying to steal a piece of equipment, or the trailer itself? that takes guts to try and steal the trailer.

3. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

you park your trailer across the street from your house?

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I'd probably get mad and bust out with citizen's arrest. :p I hate low life losers that steal for a living. Should of beat him down.

Hank

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont really know what he was going to take. I waited untill the second he touched the trailor to speak up. I soon as he realized I was there he took off.

Yes I park accross the street. I live in a very small town where everybody knows everybody. I was never really concerned about theives untill last night. I run a thick chain through all my equipment, attached to the trailor with a brass padlock. Plus I have a Trimmer Trap rack that is padlocked seperately. I also tarp the trailor over every night. I feel its pretty secure.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i envy u your catching him, i could be so lucky. i just plain dont have any tolerance for that type.and i have thru the yrs tolerated a lot. but not a thief. my sweat comes to hard.
    glad they didnt get youy stuff. by the way im sorry to say i use to know some ,and the way they think they may try again.
    i better explain . the reason i dont know them any more is because they kept bringing stolen stuff around my familyand i finally told them to get in the wind,which went over like a lead balloon.
    that gang had me more afraid than ive ever been in my life.
    u didnt fight one u fought the pack.finally turned out alright tho ,i didnt kill nobody an they didnt kill me.but it was close both ways

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That guy got off lucky.

I think I would have waited until he really did something stupid (like enter my truck) and then I would have pulled a gun on him to give him a scare of his life. Yes it is legal here it Texas since he would be setting foot on your property (the truck) and attempting to commit a crime.

8. semi- automatic paintball gun.

9. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Rock salt works well.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn Dog2001 wrote:
    I run a thick chain through all my equipment, attached to the trailor with a brass padlock. Plus I have a Trimmer Trap rack that is padlocked seperately. I also tarp the trailor over every night. I feel its pretty secure.

You shouldn't feel it is secure. The TrimmerTrap can be opened in about 2 seconds without cutting the lock and any bolt cutter can go through your brass padlock like it was made of butter. If you want to feel secure bring the trimmers and other small stuff inside every night, replace the brass lock with the biggest, baddest case hardened lock that will fit through the links and put kill switches on all of your mowers. This wouldn't stop a very determined professional thief but it would darn sure slow them down and might make them create too much noise to complete the deed.