I could see this being a big problem...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Apr 16, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

One of my customers told me yesterday they were browsing Lawnsite. They saw the link in an area newspaper. Please be careful talking about prices, etc.

Say, for example, you are getting $300. and acre, and someone on here, somewhere, is getting $30. an acre, believe me, its going to cause problems. Most customers dont understand 'area' rates, equipment, etc. etc. All Im asking is to post like your customer is reading this.:mad:

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell them to call the 30 dollar guy. "Oh, but he's in another state?" Hmmmmm...
    Did your customer find any of your posts? Did he find reference to peeing in his shrubs?
    Maybe I should make up a fake name, in case my customers are reading this.
    Crawdad

3. MOST customers could use a little "reality check".

I'd be tickled to have my customers reading Lawnsite.com

I've just had a $150 bid undercut on a 5 acre lawn!

The only way someone could do that is to work for nothing or be mowing with stolen equipment!

Somebody needs to be reading Lawnsite! Either the customers or the competition. Maybe they'll get a clue!

Ignorant customers is by far a greater problem to me than how to keep a secret!
    When I got back with that customer you can bet I slipped into the conversation something about the lawn being 5 acres. "Yep, measured it with the GPS". I'll bet if that other bidder knew that, I'd have the job not him!

Information isn't killing me, the "trade secrets" are.

Dave

4. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think all the professional LCOs on this site would be willing to pay a nominal fee to join. This would be one way to eliminate the casual "browser" from entering the site, and would pretty much insure that only lawn care business people would be in here. Any thoughts???

5. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I don't mind the casual browsers. I've actually gotten 2 accounts from people who found me on Lawnsite.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

This is about the only topic that could get me banned from this site.I hate the fact anybody can get on here and get the inside poop. You can give all the reasons in the world why its ok for Harry Homeowner to view our posts. I completely disagree. This site exists for land/lawn operators....period. Let them get into the Homeowner forum but they need to be kept out of our inside info. Makes no d--- sense to me at all.I'm getting p'd off here so I'll stop now b4 I get a warning.....

7. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

How many other sites do you guys like to visit that want this to be a pay-site? Can you afford to pay at all of those sites as well? I can't. Pay sites would kill the internet. Except for the rich maybe.
    If this site goes pay to belong I might pay but I would be :angry: and this site would not be as popular IMO. It is the variety of people and ideas that make this site so great I would hate to see any one excluded. If you don't like what some one has to say just ignore them. If you run a legitimate business and your prices are fair you have nothing to fear from the public reading the info here. Good services and quality work will find loyal paying customers. It takes longer sometimes then we would like but it doses happen. I have been in business eight years now and it looks like this year we are really going to be busy. I was scared a couple of years ago and thought about giving up. I sure am glad I stuck it out. Were going to have a 5 thousand dollar week from the looks of it. God I love having my own business. I realize that might not be a lot of money to some of you but it tickles me pink and I can grow from here so I am pretty excited about this year.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

When I Talked about PAY SITE I Got Laughed At. Now That the MONSTER Is Here What Do You Do Now!!!
    John.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If any of my customers say prices on hear then they would realize what a deal they are getting from me. I'm lucky to get $30 per hour and me ability to keep equipment updated is suffering. They could see the $1 a minute some get and not complain so much about my prices. I am thinking about putting a link to lawnsite on my business website so people can see that I am constantly trying to learn more about this business to better take care of their lawn.

Sometimes a homeowner has chimed in here and given us a different perspective In a situation. and often we have given them our perspective. And hopefully helped them find the right lco for them.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have pointed some of my customers to this site for advice in the homeowner section. No worries from me. This scares me as much as "giving all of my secrets away to the competition."

Gravely_Man