1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i couldnt believe this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuckers, May 6, 2004.

1. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i could not believe it today i was cutting my grandpa's grass at like 5:30 or so after i was done with everyones yard and i was talking to him and some guy who was cutting grass next door comes up to me and asked if he could barrow my ztr because he only had 1 w/b and they were running late.... i was SO surprised someone would have the balls to do that... anyone have this happen to them? or am i the only one with gullible on my forehead?
  2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

That is ballzy and a stupid question. Not like I would ever lend my equipment that I paid for to some @$$ who doesn't know what he needs to do the job.
  3. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

id say shure for 250 bucks an hour and i opperate it.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

$250 an hour with a 2 hour minimum
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Borrow it?
  6. thapco4

thapco4 LawnSite Member

I had that happen...when I said no the guy gave me a look like I was the a*s*o*e. Get this, he was the one that undercut me on a $25 weekly lawn.
  7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

lol ya i dont think he could undercut me on my grandpa's because i am doing it for free.... i would never let them barrow it and i would charge 300$ an hour with a min of 2 hrs me at the sticks
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I can't believe someone would ask that
  9. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I was trimming along a customer's back fence last summer, and the neighbor behind came out to the fence and asked if I had any spare spools. At first I didn't get what he was wanting.

Turns out the guy is a scrub who does half a dozen lawns, but mostly is retired from some union job up north. He has a Sears trimmer, and he always goes to Sears to buy fresh trimmer spools with the line already wound on them, and he doesn't know how to wind more line on the spools when they're empty.

And until I told him otherwise, he thought all trimmers use the same spool, and he could borrow one of my Echo spools to put on his Sears! Then he noticed my .105 line and said, "Whoa, look at the rope you're using!"

Gotta love these guys!
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The only time i ever asked to borrow a tool was a wrench out of my buddy's tool box, because my discharge shoot bolt came out. Since i only had one of that size and i need two. But not a entire machine. I think these people should be shot on site. I did help him back out a week later when he had 2 pass to go on the last lawn of the week when the belt went on his deck of his 36". He was glad i had mine 32" metro with me, since his lazer wouldn't fit throught the gate.