1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I cut a irrigation lateral with a power seeder?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dmc456, Sep 30, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

So how deep do you guy run you piping. This week we completely cut a 3/4 “ tube that went to a rotary in 1/2. My guy was like oops, and I just laughed. You have to be kidding me. We mark all the heads, dog fence, utilities, and we hit a lateral on the irrigation system.

You know the seeder does go don't 1/4" - 1/2" into the soil.

Are you kidding me, it was like it was just layed on the ground under the sod.
  2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Around here lateral lines are a minimum 10" deep. However, we never plow but always trench. :cool2:
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

8" to 14" deep when plowing. Did you hit swing pipe or PVC?

A lot of people will run swing pipe right under the sod to a drip bed etc.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

6" minimum here is standard. It is usually 6" in existing soil and then 4-6" of top soil over.
  5. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe a good construction standard is 6 times the diameter of the pipe for appropriate depth. Some guys like it deeper. I use this standard as much as possible.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad rule of thumb. Probably the only time I'm shallower is when R&D of existing zones or completing re-design/new installation zones around "relocatable" modular buildings that come and go on sites. There are so many utilities (water, gas, data, fire alarm, etc.) put in around these buildings that I really don't want to risk hitting anything. I'll trench shallow and in "stall mode" because even these utilities are not always to depth code. If an area is loaded with utilities then we'll have the Maintenance Department do a locate on all their stuff. Fortunately the only thing I've hit was an old unmarked shallow gas line. It was galvanized and I felt it immediately so there was no damage. The plumber who did the locating got written up on this one. ;)
  7. dmc456

It was probably was swing pipe, but 6'-8' of swing pipe would be a lot.
  8. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

9. dmc456

I guess you haven't used a 10HP Ryan Mataway. They are bests and cut through anything without stauling like other seeders.

It is set at 1/4" and with go much deeper when in rough ground or small humps. It will grind the rough ground down smooth once you go over it twice.

I also have a new Lesco Renovator, but it doen't hold a candle to the Ryan. I'll keep getting Ryans but will also have one Renovator for hills.