1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I cut a mismarked telephone wire today

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It amazes me how many people are suggesting a DIY phone line fix when those very same people rag on others about doing/fixing irrigation when they are not qualified. Simply astounding. :dizzy:

Wire nut and unshielded multistrand for a buried service line? Are you f'n serious? :hammerhead: Maybe for a quick temp fix that will work but certainly not a permanent one.

Out here the phone company will repair a cut phone line free of charge if the HO calls letting them know they cut it.

My condolences on your loss.
  2. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

I had one of the big phone comapnies try and charge me 150 bucks one time for a splice on a drop that was 1/2 inch deep laid right next to a sprinkler head. Yup you guessed it we go to change the head and cut the line.

After that, I swore off ever calling them again.

Hey, tell you what as soon as I can see they change their business practices, I will call them when I cut.

Until that time, I will fix their lines with what I have when I hit them. I see no problem with splices that are direct burial 3m style splices on a phone line.

Is the wire shielded where it splices and goes into the house? Seems to me the shielding would be broken there too.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

A couple of weeks ago I was installing a system on a parkway. I go to dig right next to the meter and I feel the eerie feeling of resistance with the sudden slip. Much like it feels when cutting through a thick, dry root. I Investigate and realize that I have cut through the cable line. I freaked the hell out. I investigate around the property and realized that there was no cable pulled through the conduit leading to the house. I also noticed there was a DirecTv dish on the roof. Boy was I relieved. Next time I will call 811 just so I free myself (almost) from all liability.

The line was buried with the most cheapy conduit I have ever seen. This took place in my neighborhood and when Cablevision was installing the lines in the late 70's, they used some major crap. Still do.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if you have any interaction with a utility you are supposed to report it.

5. bummer news Eddie. In the great scheme of things a pissed off moho pales in comparison. i'm bettin she has a friggin cell phone.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how they can expect us to call for locates if we are just going to be digging up a head or two. They would have to employ one more person just to take care of my stuff. I can have myself and my guys go to 20-30 homes in a day, and there is always potential to dig up a sprinkler head. So they can either hire someone at $20k-$40k just to locate MY jobs for 8 months, or they can eat a $100 repair once in a while.
  7. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Thats my issue. I have had them tell me that I am supposed to call all repair jobs for locates before going.

That would be 12-17 Locates a day for my three crews and I am not willing to push all my jobs out 3 days all the time so that I can wait for locates. Thats not even reasonable.

So I get a call for a blown out backflow before the shut-off and I am supposed to tell them to wait three days? Yeah right.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Not just that , but around here we have to premark are of locate. That means 2 trips to change a broken head. I dont think so.
  9. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

If the lines were buried deep enough TO CODE in the first place there would not be an issue.
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

you guys are right but it is what it is, dial before you dig was developed to prevent damage to private property (the facilities conduit, cable, equipment is considered private property) and for public safety.

if you followed the letter of the law, the three of you wouldn't be doing repairs yourselves, you'd have a full time job with calls, marking addresses and doing the paperwork for your protection.

pete kills me, traveling around Europe with one of the prettier women on the rock and he still is able to check in here..............