1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I cut half of the lawn for you.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I went to one of my accounts to cut and as i pull up i notice that it was already done. I drive up more and notice that only half of the lawn is done. Not to sure as to what is going on i go to the door and the husband answers ( i have never dealt with him always the wife). He tells me to finish cutting the rest and cut it as short as the mower will cut. I told him that the price would then be the same as i have only half of it to cut, but twice as much to bag. He told me that they have no money and thats why his wife cut half of it to save money. He then told me he did not know what to do and to call his wife. Well i tried and tried but no answer. So what did i do i waited a little while and then left. I told the husband to have his wife call me to discuss what she wants to do with her lawn. I cut it last Thursday and still no call. Should i call this week or forget about it?? :waving:
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

They are having money problems. Do not return unless you have money up front, or you'll be working harder to get paid thae you will to mow the lawn!
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer cutting there front lawn right now even after they signed up for 1 year. There will be no price break. Just mailed the invoice today so we will see what happens.
  4. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Don't go back unless you get paid up front or you will be working for free. On a side note I have one yard were the guy mows the grass and all I do is the edging,trimming & blowing off with no price break.
  5. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Unbelievable! Sounds like they own a mower, but decide to hire a lawn service to mow their yard. Isn't a lawn service a "luxury item" for most people? It blows my mind that would even hire you if they knew they had (or could potentially have) some money problems. Then to mow HALF OF IT to save money??? I'd consider that account done.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

C'mon on man he said he has money problems.
  7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Tell them that your costs don't go down just because the cut half the yard. You still have to pull up and drop the gate (labor, gas, wear and tear) tell them sorry but you cannot do the yard at half price for them. Have a good day.
  8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

They actually do not own a mower the husband said that his wife borrowed one to do the yard from a neighbor. When i first took the account they had a junker in the yard and said i could have it if i wanted to ( i really do not need that problem) and when i was there last time there was a guy working on the house next door well he came over to chat and told me that she offered it to him in exchange for a 8X10 addition on her deck. THE FUNNY THING SHE WAS BRAGGING TO ME THAT HER SON JUST GOT DRAFTED RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE TO PLAY PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL. An i did see his pic in the paper so she was not lying about that.
  9. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

The whole thing just sounds wierd to me. She wanted to trade a mower for an edition to their deck? Well, when her son signs the big contract, she can start having her lawn mowed again.
  10. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

walk away. can't beg them to let you mow.