I cut the wrong yard!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Apr 14, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

So I get a call for lawn maintenance. The customer gives me the address so I ride by and close the deal over the phone because they work odd hours and we could never find a good time. Before I put my customers on monthly billing, I get them to pay up front for the first few cuts just to see if there consistant. I told him he could leave the money under the door mat. When I showed up today, the money wasnt there so I proceeded to cut the lawn anyway. A few hours later I give him a call to let him know he forgot and that he could just pay me double for next week to make up for it. Thats when he tells me that he didnt forget. I then tell him that I checked and nothing was there. He then says "Are you sure you have the right house???". I say, "Is it yellow?". He says " NO!"

I absolutely knew that I had the right address so I stopped by to see if I wasnt a complete moron. His address was 5701. The house directly across the street from him was 5701. The house I cut was on a slight curve which (to my understanding) automatically changed it to another street. Why in the heck would two houses directly across from each other have the same address?!?!?!?!?! This has never happend to me before and I think its a one in a million chance.
    Hopefully I can talk to these people and turn the free service into an account! :laugh:

2. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

That is freaking AWESOME....

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

haha. thats funny.

4. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

thats funny man, I've almost done the same thing. I was in a neighborhood one time and there was a street just up from the one i was cutting and it had the same street number just different name, too funny... Hopefully you can turn that one into a weekly account, good luck man...

5. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

can I give you my address:laugh::laugh:But seriously, I cut a house and scalped a corner only to find out I wrote the house number down in reverse. I was a little dislexic that day. Now I had to fix that lawn for free and still go cut the other. Happens to all of us. Keep smiling:waving:

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its more his fault then anything. He should have told me. I know he has problems with mail and packages all the time!

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty minimal as mistakes go. There was a demo crew that razed the wrong house here a few years ago. That was a funny news story!

8. CuttingEdgeTM

CuttingEdgeTM LawnSite Member
    from Florida

You could have just picked up a new customer! :drinkup:

9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We been there, done that.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im guessing 1 house had the address of one street , and the other house was the address of the other street.
    Education aint cheap!