I demoed a Wright Mulcher yesterday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know if anyone else has. I really wanted to test the 36 stander as a potential replacement for my 36 WB.

The dealer got one for me from the rep, but it had a mulch kit on it. He said it would take at least an hour to unmulch it and asked if he could just leave it on.
    I thought sure. Why not try that too.

That thing gave the worst cut of any mower I have ever ridden. I tried changing the deck angle with the front caster adjustment, but no matter what no help. It cut like I forgot to drop the deck on my mower.

The dealer set the deck to cut between 3.0 and 4.5 inches with 4.5 with 1/8 inch front pitch.

I hear people saying how great a cut Wright Standers give. Any of you use a mulch kit? Was the mulch kit the problem? \

The dealer says he has never seen a mulch kit for this mower, so maybe that was the problem.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 Standers and a Sentar and we have no problems the cut just as well as my Ferris Dual Hydros. I have never heard of a mulch kit for the Stander. I would say that it is the problem.

Chris

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe it's the type of turf you are mowing in Florida. Up here, in WV, we use our Standers from spring to fall with the mulch kits in place. We are mowing Fescue, Ryegrass/ Bluegrass lawns. I get great results with ours, and haven't had very much clumping at all on overgrown lawns. Usually a second pass over a really thick area, and you can never tell. I run single Raptor blades all season long.

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I used the 36" last year with a mulch kit and it worked just fine. Maybe there is a difference with the St. Augustine that I assume that you are cutting.

The kit that I ordered for it had a plate that went in between the blades so that it was baffled. I found that it didn't really help all that much. It worked just as good with just a plate by the chute. With just the plate, it was one bolt to take it on or off depending on what I wanted.

5. Precision

my problem was not with its ability to mulch. The grass really isn't thick enough or tall enough to really matter. I did run over some fallen oak leaves and they got chewed up pretty good.

My problem was that it really gave a shaggy cut. Missed over 20% of the blades. At first I though that maybe 4.5" on this was way higher than what my mower calls 4.5". So I used the stander at 4.5 then 4 then 3.5 then 3.0". I cut 4 stips separated by 2 feet in my yard which has not been cut for 3 weeks. Waiting for the demo. Then I cut at a 90 degree angle across these cuts with my mower at 3.5" 4.0" and 4.5"

I could barely tell a height difference between the stander cuts. But my mower was decidely different in height and a nice flat / level cut on each pass.

I also had a problem with the mower pogoing rapidly when I tried to back it down my gate. I assume that is just tight hydros and me not being used to them. So after 3 tries I just stopped reversing down the gate. problem fixed.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Isn't that one bolt a PITA to get off ?? It gets caked with wet grass back in that little corner, and makes it really difficult to get to with a ratchet or open end wrench. :dizzy:

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

No, not really. It is a carraige bolt that has the little square piece on it so that it doesn't turn. You just take the nut off and the bolt slides out. It takes me about 15 seconds or so to take mine off.

8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

my be the rear Axel was not set up right ,it has three levels for over all hight adjustments ,and also the blades have spacers on them, were they all the way up ? with all casters spacers up on top ,if the blade spacers were set to high you will not cut anything under 4.5 inches this time of the year its hard to find grass that high . go to wrights site click on owners manual ,it goes into detail on hight adjustment http://www.wrightmfg.com/

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I think you might have been going way too fast with it. What blades were on it? Mulching or just regular high lifts. Etc.

10. Precision

unfortunately as a demo unit, I let the dealer handle all that. I told him I wanted a cut range of 3.0 to 4.5 inches. I figured he would know what to do.

I assume it had mulch blades on it. But again who knows.

I tried varying cutting speed as well. When I cut the pattern into my yard, one pass was at full speed. Another pass was at a slow walk. 100 feet in about a minute.
    So I don't think that is it.

He is removing the mulch kit and trying it at his house over the weekend. I will call on monday and see what he says.