1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I did 4 1/2 lawns today

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Nov 8, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I took 25 route cards with me today (left over from last week). All 25 were too leafy last week, so I returned today to treat them -- cuz last weekend was fine weather so customers would have the chance to find a mower or a rake or blower, or something,:laugh: in order to "clean up their property".

Welp.........that was not the case. Seems the excuse was "I was too busy", yet many of these homeowners were home (not working).:hammerhead:

Problem I have with "these people" is that I mow my own lawn(s), yet I work seven days a week.:confused:

I have 'two acres' at my home with many native trees, our business is 1 1/2 acres with many native trees as well. I manage to keep the leaves cleaned up/chewed up on both properties - even though I work long hours. Both our properties are always clean enough for anybody to fertilize.

Anybody else running in to this?:confused:
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Every year my friend, every year!

I bring my whole customer base ( I still use route cards with invoices attached, I told you I was old ) once the leaves start falling. I drive by at least 1/2 of the lawns I do because of leaves.

yes it sucks, yes it waste my time, but when I price out my program I take into account for this type of stuff. When people ask me why my min price for a 2k lawn is $54, I tell them its because Mrs. Jones never picks up her leaves :clapping:

After 2 drive bys I call and ask them to call me when its clean and I will try and return right away to do the lawn.

I try not to apply when its too thick, I do give them the " its just like putting sugar on your cornflakes, it all ends up at the bottom of the bowl " line but most of the time that doesn't work too well.

Now its easy for me to do this because I only have 350 customers, and I do nothing else but fert. So as long as no snow flys before turkey day I usually get everyone done.
  3. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Place hand held bac pac blower on your technicians trucks. They don't have to be 399.99 blowers. Some cheppo's to get by enough to just blow areas that need them. We had to do it several year ago. Only, be sure to add the cost to techs cost should they decided not to keep up with it. Or charge them out of their pay if they loose it!
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Clean up your customers leaves?

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me!

Where do you put the leaves?
    Clean 25-45K lawns?
    That could tick off the customer if you put the leaves on the "wrong side" etc.

I would rather stay in my truck and come back later!
  5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of our customers don't mow their own lawns so I have mowing days down pat. But you still have those same customers every year that wait until every last leaf falls before they clean them up. I'll occasionally blow off lawns of our better customers and the ones that are too out of the way that you need to get done.

It seems like every day your spinning your wheels and its taking forever to get those last apps done. No rain until Oct. and now a cold/windy patch have put me behind.

I need a vacation.....

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what fun this time of year
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Exactly - we sent out 7 routes today (non-leafy areas), but we still had to skip some. Some we did the front & sides, etc leaving a note that we'll return next week to finish the rest of their lawn. Two customers I talked to said they were waiting until all leaves have been dropped. I politely said "I understand", but of course I did not. If I can keep nearly four acres of turf with dozens of mature deciduous trees clean of leaves, working seven days a week, then I figure these customers would be able to do the same thing.:rolleyes:

We currently have a file of "leafy lawns" (about 100 so far), so we'll stop back on Monday or Tuesday to see if they truly care about their lawns. Seems that most customers do not work weekends:confused: like all of US do, so I'm hoping they take their two days off to maintain their properties?:laugh:

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Gets real old this time of year. I cn't imagine having 100 of them to go back on, I would go nuts. I hate to say it, but its not the money that bothers me, its the one step forward two steps back that is frustrating me. We thought we were on our way to getting done with only 3 pallets of lime left to do. Truck broke down, along with everything else going sideways. I sent my helper home and spent the afternoon with my family. Its been one of those weeks. I really hope next week is better. I'm really beginning to worry if we can get everything done before snow flys.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Being in the mowing end also, I know that mow days don't mean much this time of year... Either you have to go everyother week, or disregard regular mow days because of extra time alotted to clean-up. Then there is the wind... Either way, I wouldn't start blowing leaves for someone for nothing! I DROP stupid people & non/late-payers! (Not touching their leaves until they all fall put them in the STUPID catagory):mad:
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Let me say this ... a few years ago when I bought my house on 1 1/4 acre lot, the lawn had 37 trees on it. That first fall season I had a hand held lawn vaccuum that reduced the leaves by a 16:1 ratio and still ended up with about 124 bags of leaves (that's 45 gallon bags) !! I was out every weekend that year on Saturday and Sunday cleaning up the lawn and swore that 'd never do it again. So now, I'm one of the ones that let's all the leaves fall and then I clean them up. The difference is, I don't have a WB blower and WB lawn vaccum or other professional clean up equipment, to make it easy like you guys apparently do !!