I did the unthinkable...

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by oldschoolcraig, Mar 2, 2008.

1. oldschoolcraig

oldschoolcraig LawnSite Member

I've been in business for 5 years and finally got tired of pulling the enclosed trailer. After a loader incident with the side of the truck I decided to do this. What do you think?

:hammerhead:

147.jpg

148.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

153.jpg

2. oldschoolcraig

I've changed a lot of things around this year so I can get by with one primary mower, which will be my walk-behind Encore. I'll post more pics when it's all painted. Been hard working between snow storms on this project.

160.jpg

163.jpg

166.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

3. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

I really like it. I would like to find me an old 1 ton truck and do the same thing. What about reverse lights, and a ramp. How do you get your mower on there

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What about a gate? I like the idea, but I would build some nicer sides.

5. oldschoolcraig

It's still a work-in-progress. I have another month to finish the gate. It will be fold down off the back. I'm still debating on the sides, whether I want them removable or sides like on a trailer. The rest of the lights are coming. This is not done by a long shot, just got impatient tonight and wanted to see what you all thought.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Awesome. I think a fold down side would be nice. I have one on my isuzu landscape bed and they come in real handy when loading plants, pallets, or scouping off debris. Let me know if you need any pics of my landscape body.

7. oldschoolcraig

Lawnworks - YES, I would love to have pics of the fold down side. The design for this project keeps evolving. It will eventually be a lot like the dovetail Dodge that is on this site.

What would others add or change? I need to wrap this up in the next month. I only handle 35 yards a week (doing this part-time for now). Most of them can be done with the 48" walk-behind. The push mower is for about 3 that have small gates.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I would add tool boxes under the bed. The other thing would be the ability to pull a trailer if you so desired.

It looks good.

9. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good, but if I went through the effort I'd get a pickup with an 8 foot bed so that there is some space.

10. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

i think that you did a great job. its the only flat bed on a SRW trucki like that ive seen.

Since you asked, there are a few things id change.

One, id tuck in the rar a little bit so its not so wide in the back. it will also help with the pivot when you turn the truck so your backend wont swing out so much and hit things. good example would be the gas pumps.

The other big thin i would do is make that dovetail section somwhat removable. you have no way to tow a trailer which could bit you in the but later on. also if you ever wanted to put a Vbed salter in there the dovetail wouldnt work. so i would make that removable

The swing down side would be real nice

Reverse lights

Tool boxes under the bed. it will look really nice anf youll get some added storage too.

Other than that, it think it looks awesome, even as is