I didn't realize how much I missed my mulch kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, Jun 17, 2003.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I put my mulch kit back on the exmark today:D cant believe how much of a difference that thing makes. Less clean up :) no grass in mulch beds or rock beds and to be able to trim with both sides of the deck really is a time saver. cant wait till tomorrow and mow some more ;)

2. HarryD

Anyone else put theres back on yet after this wet spring. grass growth here is slowing down big time. cant wait till some heat comes and slows everything down mowing will be a breeze :)

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Odd, I took mine off tonight! I was getting sick of breathing in 10% grass, 90% air... Trying to bag, see my thread on 3.5 bushel bagger...

4. HarryD

I was getting sick of bagging thats why I put mine back on. I dont bag vary much but there are a few lawns I have that have so many mulch beds its just eaiser to bag. with the lush spring growth coming to a end the mulch kit had to go back on

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I made a mulch baffle kit for the 52 scag a while back and it works great but the problem is that it doesn't have enough lift and leaves many stringers when mowing at 3.5". The blades have to sit up a bit inside the deck to mow at this height. Also I'm using the reverse gators like J-Thomas has but getting them locally from a Rotary dealer. They mulch great but don't have any lift. I used single regular lifts with it and they packed grass in too much and then the clumps of grass dropped down finally and made a mess because they were packed tightly together. I tried using doubles gators over lifts and that clumped badly.
    Should I get some mulching blades but not gator type, the kind with some lift? Would that help? Or is it just something I have to put up with? The thing seems to have enough power with 14hp, it's 52" hydro with a sulky, but I have to double cut to get stringers so I just discharge with single regular blades.
    Thanks,
    Eric

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Add a true fast convertible mulch/discharge deck to my wish list of things someone smart needs to invent. I remember my old 37" Toro had something like that, but it didn't mulch too great. I bet it could be done. I love mulching, but with tall wet grass and for high speed mowing it just causes more problems than it's worth. It'd be nice to be able to convert quickly in the field and switch back and forth.

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Actually, Harry, mine never comes off except for when I scalp my Bermuda and Zoysia lawns jsut bdfore greenup ( I put the bagger on for that).I love my mulch kit. Wet grass with mulch kit? No problem.

8. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Long wet turf cannot be mulched.

Mulching puts more strain on your mower & will drastically reduce engine life if done frequently in long turf.

Better to discharge the large areas & mulch the landscaped areas with trim mowers & WB's if possible.

9. HarryD

Eric try a set of the exmark wavy blades. I have even been using them when side discarging also and really like them. never really thought the gators worked all that great for grass

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Ultimate-No, if you have a decent powered machine, bogging isn't a problem, so the "strain" doesn't occur. Besides, on most resi. lawns, discharge is a PITA.