I didn't want this job.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTP, Mar 21, 2009.

1. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Last year, a HOA asked me to bid on mowing the grass (weeds) in front of their neighborhood. The city had been doing it for them and it was getting rather expensive. I had previously sent out flyers to the neighborhood and someone decided to give me a call.

Well, to be short, I don't do commercial mowings. I don't even do residential over 16,000 square feet (usually) but, for some reason, I gave them a bid of $90. It's a little over an acre. They did some clean up work and so they requested a new quote because now the lot was a little larger. They also told me that there was another company that was bidding. They wondered if I would like to adjust my price. I told them that I would. I increased it to $100 per mow. Then, they accepted my bid. They told me that they wanted it mowed every other week. I told them that my price was for weekly service and that the new price would be $125. They had no problem with that.

I mowed the lawn for the first time on Friday. It took 25 minutes.

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

haha, good for you, nice to have a little money hole like that.

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Score! That is one to hold on to.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

:drinkup::drinkup: Way to go, these don't come along everyday.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

amazing.. dealers get ripped on Lawnsite as "overcharging and ripping people off" to try to make enough profit to stay in business... but when one of your own comes on here and lays out how he's putting one over on somebody, he gets pats on the back and beer mug raises.... Guess that's why when I clicked the "new posts" button, there were over 790 unread.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That ain't right, but win some, lose some.

So yeah, take it to the bank.

Oh well :p

And I would essentially agree but ...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

They didnt have to accept the price. They said they were getting bids. I also price high for jobs i dont want to make them worthwile if i do get them.

8. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I got a customer like that in my woodworking business. Do a lot of the same things over and over again, she runs a scrapbooking company. Make 100/hr all day long, making wreaths and clipboards, and shadow boxes,,150 if I'm movin. And her workload is getting big for me. She told me before I started working for her it would be a career.

Well maybe but still gotta full time job and mow lawns on the side, but making jack like this is nice.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Scrap booking is HOT right now. But just like TransAms, CB radios and record players, it will become unpopular one day. I'd keep my day job.

10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see the problem. He bid it, They change something and ask for a rebid, he raised the price to his standard, they changed it again and asked for a rebid and he raised the bid to his standard and they signed the contract. I have sent out contracts to be signed and have had them come back with the price lined out and changed to an increase and asked to resubmit it and then had it returned to me signed. What do you want him to do say no thanks, get some one else? I say be cool and take the money to the bank.