I do not know what to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guven, Feb 9, 2007.

1. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I am in lawn mowing business in two years, I have over 65 clients (over 35 are beweekly service)I am solo operator, I got a job offer doing air conditioning which is related to my education (I had bachelor of science from mechanical engineering in Turkey) now I thinking taking the job, last two years I was ok doing lawn cutting and clean ups jobs.BUt most of time I am thinking there is no future in this business , no retirement, no healt care .last year I posted almost same thread, I am still do not know what do do,If I took the job I would be making $15 an hour ( it is entry level skilled labor job,reading blue print and watching the process) 15 bucks is little low but I can survive. please what is your tought about this, what would you do if you are in my position .
    Thanks

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What area of Jersey are you in? What have you made the past 2 years cutting grass? Is cutting grass something that you can really see yourself doing later on in life? (It doesn't sound like it)

Bottom line, will you be able to support yourself and your family (if any) on what you would be making from the career change? Is this something you would truly like to do?

3. guven

guven LawnSite Member

HI
    I am from north Jersey , I am very close to PA border,24 miles away from DW Gap
    I make actually pretty good and I bought all commercial equipments, I do not have any kid and I am getting sperated at the and of the this month
    thanks

4. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I forgot to tell you , I really like mowing grass , I love it.for the first time all my life I am doing something I love it. I like working by myself .

5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Then what's the problem?

6. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Go with what you have peace with doing

7. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you really love mowing and landscaping then I would stay with it. If you give up your business and go for the other job what happens if you decide it sucks. You just gave up all of your clients and hard work building a business for nothing. If a job came along that you have been waiting for (job of a lifetime) or if you did not enjoy being in the lawn care business it would be a different story. I say, keep on cutting.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like you should keep doing what you are doing! You seem to have a good customer base as well as good equipment! Best of luck with your decision

9. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree w/ the others if it is what you like keep doing it. If you are not really sure, then next winter when nothing is going on in the grass cutting world give it a try for a few months, or maybe even try it now. You still have a few months before it kicks in, if the other job isn't that great then just quit no one can make you keep working there.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Think long and hard before going back to 9 to 5. Remember it is way harder to start your business over again if you regret it. Do you really want to work for someone else again? I think you need to grow, take on more profitable clients. There are a lot of insurance choices for self-employed. Consider making yourself a leased employee. This give you access to commercial insurance at decent rates as well as other benefits including tax deferred retirement plans. Look in the yellow pages under payroll or employee leasing services. I think you would regret rejoining the rat race.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.