I do not understand?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have seen oil prices are down near $100. a barrel now and dropping every day but pump prices keep going up?What the hell? Back when we were paying around $4./gallon, a barrel of oil was at recoed highs,somewhere around $140. or more,Currently our local gas stations are at $3.99,Who the hell is gouging us?Then I heard if IKE does major damage to the rigs in the gulf pump prices could reach $12/gallon!!!!!!I do not think it will get that high simply because people would not stand for that and it would destroy the economy overnight! I think there would be record violence against gas stations and owners and anyone remotely involved in gas or oil.We are getting much needed rain here in KY though!The grass may grow again but will we be able to spend $60. to fill up a walkbehind??!!!! I think I may look at the propane conversion for my truck, Ive heard some good things about it.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it might have something to do with getting 'hosed.'

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Supply and demand. Ike has refineries shut down in the gulf. Damn near all of them. Supplies are going toget shorter and shorter until Ike passes and dies off and they can get the refineries running again. So, in theory, next week the refineries get kicking again, supply goes up with oil still declining and the price comes down almost as quickly as it went up. haha Although I am betting it simply trickles down like it normally does.

4. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

Someone likes getting fat pockets.

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was out and about tonight and mostly ALL gas stations i drove by are packed with vechiles getting gas, and i mean packed with lines waiting...:dizzy: prices are 3.69 to 3.79 tonight.. i will get up early tomorrow and run the the gas station and fill up also, along with the gas cans! this is nuts! :cry:

6. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

The price of oil per barrell is cheaper now then it was in february & it's .60 cents higher now W.T.F is going on. this is bull

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, it is supply and demand, this is why OPEC is cutting production, so they can demand more money from us. This just showed up on the news that would be cutting production because prices are falling too fast.

8. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ike is causing the problem right now. Texas is about to get hit pretty hard, so production has pretty much stopped. I was amazed to see regular gas almost as high as diesel today, then thought about the hurricane. As I was mowing at my church, the gas station across the street was packed the whole time. I bought diesel today and heard one of the gas station employees say they were almost out of gas. A gas station is Charlotte turned down a load of fuel because it was simply too high. I think the news reporter said it was almost $5 a gallon. But like Woody said, it should come down after the hurricane passes. If OPEC cuts production, it will go up some, but the oil guys would be stupid to cut it too far. Simple economics says that when a price goes up, people buy less. We've already seen this one time this year. I really wish this cartel would dissolve so there would be some competition on the market. As it is now, they name their own price and we either have to accept that or walk. I really want to experiment with this hydrogen generator stuff and see what kind of mileage I can get. It's time to stick it to OPEC.

9. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't really seen much of an increase here in Kansas yet...(knock on wood) But it has been raining non-stop since Wednesday, we got out of school at 11am this morning because it was starting to flood just down the road from the school.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic