I don’t trust those big locks anymore

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Likestomow, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I got ripped off again last weekend, making it twice now in two years. My trimmer rack is too strong to break, but the locks aren’t. Two years ago I had a cheap $9 lock that took the thief probably five seconds to snap with a crow bar. I figured it was partly my fault for making it so easy for him, so I went out and bought the biggest hunkin’ Master lock I could find for $25.

I have relied on this lock for two years, but now I realize that it has been a big mistake.

It was plain to see where the bolt cutters bit into the shackle, but the shackle didn’t get cut through! --- it CRACKED right in half, and my trimmers went bye bye.

The rest of my stuff is locked up with these really cheap, made in China, round disc locks like you see at storage lockers and such. The shackle is only exposed for about ¾ of an inch, so when they are deployed, there is no way to get a bolt cutter on them.

I have decided to switch everything I lock over to these locks. Even the chain I use to lock my trailer down with is going to get a 3/8 inch piece of flat bar welded to the end so I can use the disc lock on it too.

I called the manufacturer of the locks and they said it was extremely hard for anyone to cut through them with a bolt cutter because of the stainless steel shroud around the shackle.

I’m through with those flimsy and expensive Master locks!

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

http://www.americanlocks.com/

Look at some of the American locks, I cant find it on there site because theres so many, but I have a lock that has sides that cover the shackle, and theres no way to use bolt cutters on it. also look at model 2000 on the opening page, it might work.

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Motion detector with lights and siren might work better.

Hooked up to an exploding ink pack would be a nice added touch.

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

That's a serious lock! Thanks for sharing.

I've never been ripped off. But my enclosed trailer gets parked in my driveway every night. I have the Master locks on it now. I have good insurance too, no deductable on theft.

If I ever do get hit, I'll be getting some of those locks.

Scott

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The round locks you are refering to are called chinrose locks. They are the best locks you can get that are bolt cutter proof. Most vending machines and alot of trucking companies use these because bolt cutters will not fit on them. I haven't had a master lock yet that I couldn't just take a hammer and hit the bottom of the lock to break it.

Mike
    DLCS

7. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

I know these locks as Discus or sometimes spelled Diskus. Several companies make these style locks... I like the ones made by Abus. These use mushroom pins that are pick resistant, also the case is resistant to busting when beat with a hammer, and of course simply by design bolt cutters can't get a bite on them. The Abus can also be keyed however you wish (a locks different, all alike, or with a master key... they can also be changed if a former employee "lost" the keys).

rbs-piners_1690_194415.gif

8. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the Master locks you buy here have the words Made in China on the back of the packet.I have an US made Master lock and it is much stronger than the Chinese ones,guess there another US firm thats moved overseas.

9. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

Use a electric fencer, a HOT one. Works every time.

10. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

:gunsfirin :cry: :help: When all else fails I get out the big artillary.:cool: