1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I don't do fert but customers demand it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do fert, but a few of my customers that have called back on my advertisments have asked about it. My question is this: Do any of you that dont' do ferts sub it out to fert companies? If so, what steps do you take? Do you trade work, ask for a percentage, or just have an agreement with them? I have called a few fert companies in the area and left messeges. I would like to know how to handle their call backs. Thanks
  2. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

Im just curious why you dont do fert??
  3. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

North of HockeyTown whay would you not fert,you have to go there anyways ( to cut that is) It's a real money maker get involved keep others off your turf. ;)
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

In my state you need to be a Licensed Pesticde applicator to do even fertilizing on a customer lawn. Tell the other company ( make sure they dont do mowing services ) what the deal is. Im sure you can find someone to do it. You may even be able to make 10 or 20 % on their work.
  5. Expert Lawns

I don't have a license to fert, and can't take the time to work under someone for the 2 years that is required by law. I"m too busy with lawn care and college. It is easier for me to find someone to do it. In the past I have been recommending companies to my customers. I want to it to be controlled this year. I have a company around here that does fert and mowing, but they only do commercial mowing. A friend of mine used to work for them and said they constantly get calls for residential mowing. If I can get them to refer those call to me, then i could give them my fert jobs.
    It will get tricky though. I could get screwed hard if all of the referrals are out of my area, or just tiny $15 lawns, or penny pinching customers. I would have to state to them what I want in return. Any other suggestions?
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats exactly what I do. Evan if you only get a few customers, its not like you gave up anything for it if they are doing all the fert work.
  7. amw

amw LawnSite Senior Member

hey i had the same prob.

But what you CAN do WITHOUT a cert. is fertilizing ..yes you CAN...
    Sraight fert ONLY you can not use a crabgrass, or "weed n feed"
    i have spoke to the MDA and as long as its only fertilizer your fine..

I went as far as taking the classes and passing them before i found this out.
    i also dont have anyone with 2y exp. and long story short
    they refunded the cost of the classes (for 2 people) and still let me keep the cert.
    they did this because i found out AFTER the class was ending that you dont need this for straight fert,
    so i would talk to the customer and see if that would be ok..
    also their are a few "loop holes" in the mich laws
    but im not going to get in to that...
    you still have to keep a record of the aps.

i found that most people where fine with this and for the ones who werent thier are the "loop holes"....let me know if you need more info
  8. Expert Lawns

Good point Lawnman Scott. You're right, I'm not losing anything on the deal. Just as long as they only do fert. I dont' need anyone else on my "turf" trying to sell my customers some lawn care.

Interesting Tony. But I think I would rather leave it up to the professionals. I don't want to tell them I'll fert, then do a few apps, and have them be disapointed. I would rather they get their money's worth. It also will help me out since the grass will be growing better. I have very little experience doing apps. I'd rather just concentrate on my weekly mowings.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

With that company, it sounds like you would be ok, if they dont do residential. It does work for me, I have 2 people that i reccomend depending on the area, and a guy that does major tree work i dont do. They get me enough customers to keep me happy. And your right, this way its done right. Its 3 years here that you have to work under someone who is licensed.
  10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

See if you can work it so you can get him to drop his stop fee... then charge your clients full price and you make aprox $30 per house per round just to bill your clients.

As far as referals, anything you get is gravy.