I don't feel like getting screwed...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GravyTrain, Dec 15, 2006.

1. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

That's why I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've been looking for a user exmark wb for a couple of months, and have now come across two in the last week. I'd really like to get some opinions from others on what they would do.

First, try to put yourself in my shoes. I'm just starting up this summer and am buying used to try to keep my expenses down for startup. I plan to purchase new/bigger equipment by the end of the summer, so this is just a mower for the most part to be a "get started" and then a "be there when I need it" mower.

here are the two options. both are floating deck hydros

TTHP 36". Under 200 hours, with all the attachments (striper, bagger, mulch kit, stand on, etc.) This would fit on my current trailer (which I will upgrade hopefully middle of the year after I have some income). This would keep start costs lower. It is located 8 hours from my house so if I get there and decided it isn't for me, I have spent a lot of time and energy on nothing. Asking price is $3300.

The other is a TT 48" with roughly 500 hours. Includes a stand on and the mulching kit. The reason for selling is he has found another profession and doesn't have the yard to use this on. I would have to purchase a new trailer, but once again, I'll be buying a new trailer at some point in the summer anyways. This is located only about two hours from where I live and about an hour from where I currently work, not a big drive to check it out. Asking price is $3200, but I know I can get that down to close to $2900 after my phone conversation with the seller.

That is all the information I know about each of them. Assuming both are in running condition, which would you go with if you were in my shoes? Also, what are some things you would look for when "test driving" them. or things you would ask about?

2. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

how close is the 48?

3. GravyTrain

The 48" is about 75 miles from my house, probably half that from my office.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

You didn't list specs.

What engine does each mower have? Electric start or not for the 48"?

5. GravyTrain

I dont' have that information yet. I'll be sharing any more information that I gather over the next couple of days.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The 48" cuts 25% more grass per hour for the same money.

As for myself, I won't even consider a deck smaller than 44", but that's just me.

7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

you need to think about your lawns aswell, if the customer has a gate and a decent back yard the 36inch fits in most gates, it may take you a little longer to cut with the 36 but think about the people you'll turn away or how long it will take you to cut a decent lawn with a push mower because it won't fit through the gate opening. on the other hand the 48 will save you time and time is money. MORE LAWNS= MORE $$$

8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't pay that much for the 36in anyways, if you really want to be succesful, by a couple of belt drives, A lot of which also depends on your yards. If you have lots of big yards and are able to get a big mower into the back yards then a big mower is for you. But my guess that because your starting up, youll take about any yard you can get big or small. if i were you i would by a 32-36 and a 42-52" mower. If you by belt drives you could probably find both for under 3000.00 and in good condition. Lots of 36" exmarks on ebay go for under 1000.00 so i would check there.

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I disagree. A hydro will be more productive than a belt drive and less of a pita in wet conditions.

10. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

For the amount of money you are talking about spending, I would get me a brand new 36" or 48" belt drive. Now I know that I have not been cutting lawns as long as the majority of the people on here but I will tell you that a belt drive is wonderful on semi-wet grass. Keep the tensioners adjusted properly and you will have zero trouble.

Happy cutting-

DJ