I dont have a hand held blower should i get one?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Jan 19, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

All i have is a PB755 echo back pack but shouldnt i get one of the little hand held ones for blowing grass of walks and driveways,wont this save me alot of time? Which is the best brand hand held?? I only will buy the best,i believe you get what you pay for.Any good advice on which one to get?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If this is your first year or so I would advise just use the backpack for everything, the hand held is nice to have but you don't really need it, that is, I'd keep that money for something else that might come up.

I didn't get a hand held until my 4th year, it is nice, but...

3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with the a Stihl- great equipment reasonable price.

4. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Hand held blowers are great for blowing stuff where you cant get the bp's like getting leaves and hedge trimming clippings out of beds. Other than that, they are not that useful because during spring, you will always want to use the bp for mowing because of its extra power for getting wet grass off sidewalks, and same for fall, so you really will only use it during dry times. Also, many people say that you can start them faster but if done correctly, a bp only takes about a second longer to start but now you have twice the power at your desposal. hope this helps

5. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

i don't know why everyone on this site seems to have such a hard on for backpack blowers. yeah, they're good when you need extra power for blowing leaves or something but grass clippings?!? I suppose if you have a big commercial property or condo association with 500ft of sidewalks they're great but if you're doing single family homes then a handheld is usually faster. i can have a typical house blown with a handheld in the time it takes to start a backpack and put it on my back. i'm not saying what anyone else is doing is wrong, i just don't get it. I blow fertilizer with my stihl bg85 all day long without a problem.

6. jdmcat

from Idaho

anyways, sorry about the rant, i'm tired and irritable. if you couldn't tell i think you should get a handheld. you'll find that on a lot of properties the backpack doesn't make sense. I personally like the bg85 for the "cruise control" feature (it allows you to lock the trigger at any speed), but there are a lot of good ones out there.

7. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly what i was thinking,why would i want to lug a back pack evrytime i mow a simple residential lawn.Wouldnt it be much faster and easier to grab the hand held.I thought being fast is what its all about,besides a good job of course.I just cant imagine putting that back pack on and off just to blow some clippings from a drive or sidewalk,and dont they make some pretty strong hand helds?

8. jdmcat

from Idaho

i've been using the same one for 6 years. most i've ever had to do is change the air filter or replace the pull cord. just remember this, take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I wish my Redmax handheld had a cruise-control...(sigh)...though I am pleased with the output.

I gotta admit that when some turkey is constantly changing the rpms of any blower - it is VERY irritating and impossible to ignore...even while I'm sitting inside my own house. A constant whine is much easier to ignore.

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

BigW.... slow down on the purchases man. You already have two walk behinds, a 36 and what, a 48? For a solo operation? A start up? So, the back pack might be overkill sometimes, but I think you have too much equipment already, and all new stuff. I sure hope you aren't financing all this stuff.