I dont know how you guys do it with.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 3, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I dont know how you guys with multiple crews do it. I have hired and fired 2 guys in the past two weeks. OMG! I hired a guy who I thought was the "golden child" til' he went a-wall for 2 weeks. He said he was in the hospital with phnemonia, bronkitis, and an inner ear infection all at the same time. I give him another chance and he is 30 minutes late day one. Second day he is 20 minutes late, third day he was on time, forth day he is missing again. At this point I'm ready to fire him the next time I see or talk to him. He calls and said one of his dogs pushed him into a glass table and broke it and he had to get stitches, ok I give him one last chance after a long talk. The next day the idiot is late again. By the way, this is an "Army Ranger" and "Sniper Officer". So I'm definetley firing him after a big job I had today but you guessed it, he's a no show. He text me up 3 hours later and said he had a hell of a night and "where do you need me" I said dont worry about it you've been replaced. He actually acted surprised I fired him.:hammerhead: He called me over 8 times, of course I ignored the calls but what an ass! The other guy is basically cut from the same cloth. He gets enough beer money then poof their gone. The thing that I HATE THE MOST IS "I need money, my car payment is due" "My morgage is due" THEN WORK YOU FRIGGIN' IDIOT! Sorry for the rant but holy sh!t the work force is a scarry place, and these are the decent ones on paper.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I feel your pain.

Last year I had two guys. When financial times got tough for them, they just put down extra hours. I mean really, if you leave at 8:00 am and return at 5:30 pm. You also told me you had to go to the dentist that day. I say OK. Then you put down you worked 11 hours each? :hammerhead:

Except for my 14 year old son helping me some, I'm solo again and clearing more money.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just went back to me, my one other main guy and another p/t guy, who starts next week. He could be a real piece of work but we'll see.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry to hear that, but my attitude is it's just not my problem, me so very solo lol

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

weve gone through many employees too...when you find a good one keep him no matter what it takes. we have seen them come and go. our 7 guys right now seem very good this year

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You guys need some of these professional workers out of the southwest. Oh, I forgot all the experts on lawnsite say that if you would pay more money you would get better people:dizzy:

7. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

I was paying $25.00 per hr to follow a friggin mower.Then they turn into crackheads

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Employee issues realy do separate the men from the boys - so to speak.
    In the past eight, almost nine years I have been in business here in central Texas, I have been through 170+ people. Amazingly enough 63 in one month alone.
    Cause for falure? You name it - drugs, theft, misrepresentation, laziness.
    About the only thing I DIDN'T terminate for was dislike for my ex-wife.

9. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

Good gawd, where were you when I started mowing, my wage was 5 bucks an hour!!!!

Bought my first house/got married two years later making 9 large an hour

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Now you see why some of us hire hispanics. I have the same hispanics year after year.