I don't know what to title this. How bout 'Home Owner Humor'?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Mar 24, 2011.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Actually bud I didn't hang on. My initial proposal was as far as I went. He sent that email after receiving the proposal. If you notice, I posted the email from him where he says "did you get my spread sheet". That's because I provided him with no further pricing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DVS Hardscaper

This is one of my all-time favorites! I thought many of the newbies here at Lawnsite would get a good kick out of this.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Good read. I gave an estimate last season for a bunch of grading hauling and concrete. I think the total was $18k. He says can you take off 15%? I said why? Blank stares from both of us, awkward silence, shook hands, and left.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. throopguy21

throopguy21 LawnSite Member

What are you charging for labor? $20 an hour total or $20 an hour per person, cuz even at that price that is dirt cheap. I charge $40 an hour per person with my crew. I don't see how he could possibly find somebody cheaper. It sort of sounds like you may need to spell it out for him a little better as he seems like he's smart but at the same time a dumbass. And possibly drop your price just a little bit. no way in hell I would work for three days for a thousand bucks tho. that dude is crazy.

5. DVS Hardscaper

When I received his email with the attached spreadsheet I became rather silent for the most part and I stopped setting forth any further efforts into his project. Normally I call people and I e-mail them, I review the numbers, and I do what I can to close the deal. But this guy was so off his rocker that really, what kind words could I find to say to him? My silence to his e-mails had to have ate away at him to some extent afterall he put all that work into the emails and the spreadsheet.

But I did do some calculating in my head. I think his $20 / hr is per employee. Because 2 employees at 8 hr days equals $320. $320 x 3 days = rounds off to $1000! That does not even allow for labor burden!

The man was sorta on the right track with job costing, he had the concept. Yet, so far off base.

There probably were some places I could have lowered the cost if I really wanted to. Glad I didnt. This is one i'll never forget.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

however, I think he could price better than some guys who actually do the work! HA!