I don't like being taken advantage of

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 13, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Big Al calls up, been a customer for EIGHT years. Both husband and wife are in their eighties, they have no kids, and both had great jobs that they worked all their life. translation: they have money, but they are cheap.
    He calls up the other week after getting his final November invoice for his fall cleanups and final cut, and says, "this is Al, got my bill, don't like being taken advantage of." His bill was not any higher than it should be. What do you say to big Al to make him happy???

2. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Pay up or I'll break your hip?:confused: Oh, wait, you said to make HIM happy.:laugh:

Ok.....Hi BIG Al, this is Jodi. Go ahead and pay the nice little bill and I'll personally do the next cut......nekkid!!!:cool2:

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Jodi,
    first i would ask why he felt he was being taken advantage of. It could be a simple misunderstanding . Once you know why you will have a better idea of how to resolve the issue.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

he thinks he was overcharged on his leaf cleanup. (he wasn't though)

5. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

was it much higher than previous bills for leaf cleanups?

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Sounds like your loosing a customer. What was the price he paid in 05 and 04. You must be able to go back and look. compare those prices to 06 and see what the difference is. then call him back and explain.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

We dont have leaf cleanups here. Well we do, but they are not as much work as there, and something someone has to request. But dont you give them a price before you doit?

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Jodi, tell him your willing to gamble a little. Tell him to write a post dated check for the full amount. Maybe two months from now. Tell him that by then the money will likely be the least of his worries.
    He can't take it with him anyway.
    That's the trouble with people like this, you lose time and money trying to make them understand why you have to charge what you have to charge. It's their lawn I'm sure at some point they used to do the lawn work and know how much work it is. They don't realize how much money we have spent on equipment so that we can work much faster and of course more productive that they can. They see you on the lawn for 30 minutes and think wow that was fast they must make a killing.
    Remind him that soon you will likley be at his funeral and you won't bill for your time spent there.

10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Written contracts, Jodi...eliminates any surprises for the clients and phone calls for you. I just got a similar call last week, I screwed up and went ahead with the clients work without them returning their contract. This is a 4 or 5 year client. She refused to pay for clean-up because she didn't sign. Won't happen again.