I don't like being taken advantage of

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I would tell him...look Big Al, you have been a customer of mine for 8 years...you should know that I would never take advantage of you....and I am actually hurt that you would think this.

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure that he knows that you are not screwing him in any way shape or form. If he is a important client, meet with him to talk face to face.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That's what I'm thinking too...well just call him and go over the charges so he can see how you arrived at that price.

4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

O man thats funny..

and I 110% agree with the last paragraph.. customers often base things on how much time I spend there...

I just had a lady (manager actually) flip out on me the other day for a job that would take 6 man hours, and I bid it $235 because I really wanted the job...she thinks that is crazy because her 17 year old wouldn't make that much money per hour.... she thinks I am way over priced..
    felt like telling her... not my fault your 17 year old bum doesn't make any money..

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

bang find why he feels this way

great way to make him feel like hes in charge and the balls in his court he may then feel the work was worth the money and pay....he may have just felt like you guys had all the control and he wanted some of it back

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Tell him trees get bigger every year as he has gotten older:) .

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I can't think of any other kind of business that would take this route. Might be the easy way out, but it should be the last resort. I have never told anybody that and always got paid in the end and didn't lose the customer. If I didn't think I deserved what I charge then I would find another line of work--just talking about me personally. I don't gouge people so I know I am charging a fair price and therefore don't need to let the customer tell me what is fair. When the elderly go to a restuarant are the told to pay what is a fair amount or to pay the price stated on the menu? The thing is you have to be upfront with these people so there are no supprises--even if you may face rejection. Hey Mr Bunker this leaf cleanup could cost 250$ for all I know. We will just have to see how long it takes me--do you still want it done?

8. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

You have to give an estimate for work that people want done if you don't want to deal with the B/S they will give when they are surprised by the bill. I like the break his hip thing best though.:laugh:

9. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

Along with some of the other posts, researching how much was charged for the same services in the past would be a ballpark indicator of any inequity on current charges. Unless there was some type of major change in the contract, equipment or landscape the cost to Big Al should remain pretty consistent.

I am curious now on the comparative rates for the last couple of years.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have an old rich dude with the same forgetful tendancies. A bit of a "ball buster" about prices. When he has a pricing issue I remind him of his past bills with a copy of all the invoices that he has paid over the years. Whenever a price increase has occurred he is given notice. I think the guy just likes to see that I am a step ahead of him. He has never argued pricing after I have responded to his requests. Now I will say that your old dude sounds a bit adversarial and wanting to fight with the way he feels taken advantage of but my old guy is all business.
    Since it is the end of the year a quick visit to the house along with all your relevent paperwork should quiet him down and make hime realize that you did not take advantage of him. Then you should document this occurance and remind him of it over the next few years, should he live that long.:waving: