1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I don't like drip? How about you?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mdvaden, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

More and more, I'm really beginning to despise drip systems.

Especially since moving to southern Oregon where they TRY to conserve more water, and drip is more common.

Too bad their systems are designed on the verge of inadequacy sometimes.

Either way, what a pain for manual weeding tools. If you don't want to cut the tubes, spraying is almost an essential.

New plants are hard to add.

The emitters and stuff get buried in plants and groundcovers so it's near impossible to check the functioning.

And what I've learned in the past 25 years, if someone prepares the soil right, mulches properly, waters when it's dark, and applies the water at the right rate with the right nozzles - sprinkler irrigation systems seem to be just as conservative for watering.
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Said well, my NW friend...all I could add with my limited experience:
    you can spot clogged spray & rotor nozzles..when drip plugs, the plants die.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT! we only use it when its temp, like establishing plants for <3years
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Least favorite, though needed here with Xerigation principles and such.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Thats why they make strainers on drip systems so they don't clog...
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would say you are dealing with junk and poor installs.

Your blanket statement is like saying I hate the Internet and computers because I am using big blue from 1975 and a dial up modem. I am talking out my azz here as I know just about nothing about computers.

I do know I have over 100,000 emitters in the ground and have less than a 1% failure rate when Bowsmith or Rainbird heads are used with pressure regulators and wye strainers. I have used Bowsmiths for over 15 years and Xeribugs for the last 10 years or so.

A quality install will have the emitter plugged into the supply line with spaghetti line no longer than 4'-5' buried in a 4"- 6" trench run into the bottom of the plant hole and coming up right on top of the root ball. Use this detail and you will never pull up a line while weeding. Your biggest problem will arise 12-15 years down the road when the roots have pinched the poly lines closed.
  7. It's growing on me. Have to pick your places for it very carefully. I prefer microspray in most cases.
  8. eagle irrigation

eagle irrigation LawnSite Member

I use drip in certaain situations. But I still HATE IT. I just demoed a new install all beds, 52 12 inch popups with mp rotators. The customers love it. They were taking pictures before I blew it out. You dont get that reaction when you demo drip. Like Brandon said drip will give you three years maybe five.
  9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

With all of the new LEED building certs, my father has been designing more and more drip zones. Cities require it now in alot of areas. Drip is great, if it is used and installed in the right way, as any product is.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't much care for drip laid on the surface, or hordes of spaghetti tubing. That being said, properly installed (buried), it can come close to 100% application efficiency, which is something you will never achieve with sprays (micro or otherwise). My biggest gripe with buried drip is hitting the lines when digging.

There also are other micro options as Fimco pointed out.