I don't like the direction the straight shaft trimmers spin!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jan 13, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

do any of right handed people not like the way the straight shaft trimmers spin?

this year i was forced to buy a new trimmer. My 4-5 year old curved shaft stihl finally blew up. (had tons of hours and abuse on it)

i had always wanted and heard about how nice the straight shaft trimmers were. so i set out to buy the top of the line stihl trimmer. i got the best 2 stroke one they make.

first off it seemed a little squared to the feel but i figured well that's ok maybe it'll just take a little while to get used to. when i finally got it started i was quite amazed with how much power it had.

once i got cutting with it i noticed that the head spun the opposite direction of my curved shaft. this was totally ass backwords from what i was used to.

when i would go around the rock beds it would throw all the grass in the rocks. i tried walking the other direction but that was unbelievably awkward.

i rarely have to take out my blower. with the straight shaft trimmer i'd have to blow every lawn what a waste of time.

i ended up taking it back and getting a curved shaft. i got one with a longer shaft and a bigger motor. seem to be more suited for me.

am i the only crazy one that thinks this??

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Your used to the clock wise rotation of your curved shaft. I have always had straight shafts and they turn counter clock wise. I could never use anything else. I guess with the hours we put on them we adapt to what we become familiar with. I think your unique in that I dont know of anyone around here that uses curved shafts. The profesional market is also geared with huge straight shaft selection. Dont think it matters but just for the record, Im left handed, but I trim with the trimmer head to my left. I can edge walking both forward & backwards at a brisk walking pace and cut a straight edge with ease

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally can't use a curved shaft trimmer. They are awkward and the weight distribution is all screwed up. But it's all in what you get used to I guess.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same trouble with the commercial straight shaft trimmers... I am milking the life out of a couple Ryobi professional models (echo engine) that spin clockwise (looking down on it). I too have tried a sthil a few years ago and took it back. last summer I gave in and tried a shindawa straight shaft, honestly it has so much torque and revvs up so quick i hardly noticed the opposite rotation. Ok it's hard to explain... It's just easier for me to edge and trim walking in ONE direction with the clockwise heads. counter clockwise rotation and I find it's easier to walk one way to edge and the other to trim and I HATE walking the property twice! There has been a lot of "debate" on here about trimmer heads, trust me, if yours rotates clockwise you get called a scrub... There was also a post on here a few months ago from a guy that has someone machining an adapter that reversed the head rotation for commercial trimmers and was looking to see if there was intrest in it. From what I gahtered it was very costly to build and 95% of prople that responded were not in favor. I however, would love to see a commercial straight shaft trimmer that's is offered BOTH WAYS. Hopefully shindawa... I have heard there is one out there but i haven't really looked yet... Anyone that knows let me know!

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I ran into that same problem this season. I had a couple of trimmers (straight shaft), I think they spun CLOCKWISE. They were on the fritz so I bought 2 new of the IDENTICAL MODEL. Well they spun COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. Totally F'ed us up! We went back to nursing the older ones. WHAT A PAIN! THEY SHOULD PRINT WHETHER THEY SPIN Clockwise or C-Clockwise on the CARTONS!!! Duh.

Mike

7. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

We use nothing but straight shaft trimmers and I make my employees walk backwards this way they can't walk to fast, and they can look back at their work as their going along. It throws the debris at your feet, If you walk forward the head will dig in and tear up the grass, once you use them for awhile you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. Besides they give you a longer reach you can get in under bushes etc. alot better.

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i don't care about the reach! they make curved shafters with longer shafts, which is what i have now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think it's ******** to walk backwords. i can almost run and cut within .01" of an object consistently.

9. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with mowerman....walk backwards and you can see if you missed a spot. Some guys wanna rip through stuff so fast they end up missing half of it.

I myself have never had an issue with straight shaft and have never got a complaint. The curved shafts are a PITA, hurt the back caause you feel u have to bend over and put the head to close to your feet all the time plus they feel like a swing in your hand bobing back and forth.

I think regardless of the length the curved shaft would still be a pain to get under bushes and such.

10. tiru

tiru LawnSite Member

Is it just the left handed people that can trim forward, backwards and sideways?