1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I don't lower my gate for less than ____? Please clarify.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I'm a little confused by this statement? "I don't lower my gate for less than $50." I've heard people say the same thing....but $35 or sometimes $30.

Is this in reference to a single one time cut? Or does this mean that you simply will not cut any lawn cheaper than $50 or if weekly....$200 per month?
  2. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

For me it is based on a yearly customer. 1 time cuts pay more for my inconvenience
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It is a minimum charge.
  4. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

:laugh::laugh::laugh: You are kidding right? What does "All you can eat for $5.99" mean? Does it really mean you can eat all you can for $5.99?
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

is nothing more then macho talk for saying... I won't cut a lawn for less then $____. :weightlifter:

and 50% of em' will anyway.:laugh:
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

After being on lawn site for a few years I think I know what that gate dropping thing means. The guy has a regular full time job where he makes a certain salary and if he works overtime he would make $35 dollars per hour. So in his part time lawn business he isn't coming off the couch to do manual labor for less than that amont. On the other hand us poor guys that do this full time would stop for a $10 cash job to fill the day. These other guys are "cherry" pickers...not that there is anything wrong with that.
  7. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I won't drop my gate for MORE then $75... because I don't have a sulkey:(
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It means you're not going to ride me, you are not going to have your way with me, and it means I am not your 'wittle' lawn boy.

I don't expect folks to bow down in front of me and kiss my feet LOL no.
    But they also ain't gonna raise their leg like a dog and whizz on me like I'm their fire hydrant either.

That's what "I don't drop my gate for less than $xx" really means.
    I will say thou, there are nicer ways of saying it, but that's the gist of it.
  9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I always felt, from reading these boards, it meant that people don't like small yards. I hear so much about people not liking 21's and I couldn't imagine doing most of my small yards without a 21, my 36 is just too awkward unless they don't have a fence.
  10. I will fire people for dropping the gate, can lead to blown bulbs and other things and I don't want to hear the crash sound.