I don't miss it...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Carolina Cuts, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

it's been over 5 long years since I've done any kind of manual labor... besides lifting weights. Saturday I started my first job of the season after having gotten out of the business years ago. Small property clean up... blowed, mowed...raked... blowed again... raked again... weeded... edged, trimmed... getting ready to till the entire property for sod. Sunday morning, woke up and couldn't move my arms... and my back hurt. :cry: :cry:

Guess I should've stretched first... :p

Alright, I guess I missed it a little...

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Feels good after awhile, you'll be fit in no time!! :)

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

:rolleyes: thought I was fit... :dizzy: AND I never drank sooo much water and gatorade in my LIFE!!! :cry: gonna be a long season.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I can't wait until the beginning of the season. I usually try to take it easy for the first 3 days to get a feel for things again and let my body adjust

5. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

February 25 every year I start intensive workout. Lifting weight an hour a day doesnt prepare you. Hardest part of our industry is the endurance. Any one can lift weight for an hour but how many guys can lift weights for ten to twelve hours a day every day. Because honestly that is pretty much comparable to what we all do. I do the workout every other day untill we start. Start out with a run a 5 in the morning rest for a little then do extensive lifting for an hour and a half straight. rest then take the dog for a good hour walk. come back in and do another half hour of lifting. Break and take care of business estimates designs etc and then go for another good length run and dont stop till I am exhausted. This may seem a little stupid but two of my employees follow the same routine, and I tell you what from day one that we start working we are going gun ho. Because spring is so damn busy. First day of good weather we have got to running and gunning. Also got sick of spring being terrible busy with estimates and being to tired to get to them at the end of the day cause we are getting back in shape.

6. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh I am going to be feeling it this year I know it. I gaind some ferce waight this off season. I belive it is due to the fact last year was a Shack and Awe campaign on my body working almost 90 hours a week! WOW I would end up eating only one meal a day BLA. So at the end of the season I had lost a little over 15 pounds! but as soon as I stopped working I would eat and eat and then do nothing (BAD MOVE) so now i am out of shape so I know I will pay for my mistakes this season!!!!!