"i dont need a spring cleanup"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 14, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i know im not the only one. how many of u guys contact the client prior to the first cut and make sure the property is clean so u can start cutting? there are some who decline a spring cleanup, but the yard is a mess when u arrive to cut. got one of those today. they said the prop was clean prior to first app, it wasnt, went yesterday to mow, leaves and branches everywhere, so what do u do:1)mow right over everything. 2) put the catcher on and go over it several times to get the leaves up. 3) drive away without mowing, and charge for a service trip.

2. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

have had the same problem

mow and cleanup it up, and charge extra.

Tell them I have a good reputation and it will look
    bad cause everyone will think the lco mowing it
    did a crappy job

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If you're supposed to be there to cut, and the place isn't clean... get it clean and mow, charge for both.

4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, what he said.......

5. zfrog

zfrog Banned

If they don't need a spcu I don't need them. Fall clean-up too.

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

here is what we do. we tell everyone who gets mowed by us that 1 week before mowing we will come around and clean up the lawn of sticks etc. They have no choice in the matter. If they do not want to be charged for the stick clean up than it had better be clean when we get there. If it is clean we get in the truck and go to the next one and they do not get billed for us checking. This has worked great. The few that cleans up themselves makes us happy and the rest we make happy cuz they don't have to. It is also a blessing to know that when you go to mow all sticks are gone.
    Since they get advance notice every spring no one has complained.

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I will tell the customer that we cant cut the yard in the state it is in, If you want us to clean it up first, it will cost xxx, if you dont want us to clean it up, give us call when it is clean. If the grass is to long to cut, then I will charge them accordingly. If they dont like that scenario, then they need to find someone else....:)

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, what if it goes down like this: in our written agreements, it states if u need a cleanup, let us know. if u choose to do it yourself, it must be done by the first shceduled mowing. so, they decline cleanup service. now, u arrive at property to cut the lawn. nobody is home. they have already declined the cleanup, but the cleanup has not been done by them. u obviously cannot cut the lawn. and, u obviously cant do the cleanup. #1 the customer was already asked if they desire a scu, and said no. so, do u get back in the truck and go to your next stop, and still charge the client a minimal service charge?

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody like that bobby I would drop like a 3-day old doughnut...they're yankin your chain. What's the barber say? NEXT!!!

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Rodfather--You would trash a 3 day old donut??? Just put it in the microwave and its like just out of the oven:D :D