1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I don't think the lawn Bus. is worth it in the long run

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jpocket, May 15, 2006.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said some people get it, most people dont
  2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

the more routes you add you might lose money because instead of working on that route you need to hire someone and lose $500 a week but then you gotta think im making $500 less a week but im also not getting a drop of dirt on me for that maint route and can concentrate on other landscaping aspects

im 21 all i do is maintenance with small jobs here and there ...... eventually going to be adding another truck to go out my current one should be filled next year , then once name is established and have more experience going to want to do landscape construction...... then theres irrigation..... then ponds and waterfalls but by no means will i stop expanding the maintenance routes ever
  3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Its up to you to build up the bank to retire on. There is money in it. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Startup costs are a ***** but its mostly down hill from there except monthly overhead and payroll.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im not second guessing it, my business is doing great, steadily growing. Im just trying to keep my head out of my ass if you know what I mean. I've been told that as a young guy you look at the world with all kinds of "hopes & Dreams", instead of looking at things more realistically. All you have to is look around, see what kind of life other Lawn service owners live. You have the elite few and then the vast majority.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

you are in the wrong part of the country . come to florida -its lco paradise
  6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

It's like that everywhere and in almost any business. That's because despite our differences, most people are the same. Most of the problem is exactly what dkeisala said. Just because you can do the work does not mean you can run a business. It takes an educated<(this doesn't neccessarily mean college educated, it means business and financially educated, even if you learned on your own) and entrepreneurial mind to make any business into a real success.
    Some people have no desire or know-how to rise above the masses and do this.
    Yeah, it's just lawn mowing, but it turns into whatever you make of it.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a bad business to get in if you are young. Mexican invasion illegals soon to be legals will drop the prices to rock bottom once they become legal and start their own business. Yes you can make a small living but must have a low cost lifestyle (used cars, small house,etc.) unless you get big. It is a good business for part-time work only.

Go to college or trade school. The more you make yourself a scarce commodity the more you will make and insulate yourself from the coming Bush invasion of illegals becoming legal.

Lots of big Lawn companies will be downsizing in a few years. Illegals are hear to stay if Bush and Congress have their way no matter how much the American public thinks they are crazy.

I suspect lawnsite will have a Spanish version in the next few years. I have already seen another site that is all Spanish.
  8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Here its not foreigners. Its your regular white americans that get off their "real job" at 3 and turn into lawn guys for the evening.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly...most businesses are not around very long, in any industry. But at least if you run one you have more control over things than working for The Man.
  10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Ive often wondered why so many are out of business in one or two seasons and I think alot of it has to do with the attitude of having the biggest and best trucks and equipment right off the bat. They go out and buy a $30,000 truck with a $15,000 ZTR and they only have 8 yards.

Slow and steady growth is the best way to go. You learn things along the way without getting in over your head.