I don't think the lawn Bus. is worth it in the long run

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jpocket, May 15, 2006.

1. Landscapes-r-us

Landscapes-r-us LawnSite Member

I know what you mean.. I mean I like the job and it's great money, I have more work than I can handle by myself, I have turned down well over 30 contracts this season, simply because I don't "need" them. I plan on hiring people in the winter to slowly train to my specs and then picking up new clients for next year. I want to stop at 100 contracts. And I know I can do it. I could have it now if I didn't turn people down. I don't lowball either!

But for me, I want to get established customers and long term employees who I really trust, then I'm gonna "hand" the business to them and go after my dream of being a State Trooper. I've calculated everything, I could work as a Trooper and let them do the yards and still bring home $700 a week in MY pocket, and still pay them good money, pay taxes, then put away a little for strictly business expenses.

I've always wanted to be a State Trooper but there's just not enough money in it for all I want to do in life, so I hope to do run a crew and work for the state at the same time..

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

This job does pay great. As for people who ain't making it, their is a reason.

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good discussion, but I must say that I like the vast array of FBNr's because they force the customer to be more cautious when choosing a landscaper ie; worker's comp, services provided and experience. Thus bringing more respect to our industry and eventually driving away the guys next door with a mower and a 10' trailor. Remember, anyone can do your service. That's a perfectly honest statement, but I can also pick up a paint brush...that doesn't make me Van Gogh. Landscaping is an art form and should not be considered a labor position. If you are in a labor position you need to rethink why your in the business. Do you want to expand on your knowledge in the trade or do you want to complain about your own limitations. Designers make $40+ hr. , Horticulture Advisors can clear $65,000 yr. , and this list goes on and on. Bottom line is that no trade is a get rich quick scam, you have to love what you do and love to learn more.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

YOUR missing MY Point. My business IS succesful and I do know how to run it. I can get as much work as I want, be it res. or Commercial. The point of the threas is: Is it all worth it in the end???????? Nowhere did I say I CAN't run my business...YOU need to read completely before you pop off at the mouth.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

YOUR missing MY Point. My business IS succesful and I do know how to run it. I can get as much work as I want, be it res. or Commercial. The point of the threas is: Is it all worth it in the end???????? Nowhere did I say I CAN't run my business...YOU need to read completely before you pop off at the mouth.

This thread was supposed to be a discussion not an arguement. Obviously some of you are offended, or see some truth to what I am saying and don't know how to handle it.

So................Forget it:rolleyes:

6. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I think there is money in anything you do. How much you make depends on the owner's mindset and nothing else. I highly recommend Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill to change everyones thinking.

If you have the mindset that there is no money in this, you will make no money. If you go into this with knowing that people will pay three times as much, you will make three times as much.

Why can a designer company sell a shirt for $50 when walmart is selling something similar for $7.99? Because they KNOW that customers will spend the $50 for their shirt.

7. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I just read all 6 pages of this thread and had to reply. I agree with the guys who wonder if it's worth it and I also see the other "you can do it if you work hard" point of view. I personally can't stand companies like Brickmann and in my neck of the woods Groundmasters. These companies are nothing but illegal Mexican immigrants who will work very hard and do exactly as their told because they are here illegaly. If it weren't for all the Mexicans, Groundmasters would have to scale way back because they would end up having the same problem I do.That problem is finding good help. Finding people who will work and give a crap about what they are doing for less than 12,13 dollars an hour seems to be impossible. Then along come the Mexicans who will work for whatever your willing to pay them and like it! I guess the real problem is that I don't speak Spanish, and will only hire people who are legal citizens of this country. I've been in business since 1990 and am doing pretty well. Lately I've been underbid by the larger companies that I see nothing but Mexicans working for. I attribute the cheaper prices to the cheaper labor rates of the Mexicans. I am so tempted to cave in and start hiring the Mexicans. If you can't beat em, join em.

8. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

50 dollar shirts are all fine.

but walmart will make more money at 8 bucks a shirt, because they are more efficient.

it is not what you charge, it is how much you get DONE.

9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I am a millionaire therefore I am. Now only if i had the cash to prove it. Oh well back to my dream world reading positive thinking books. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I did read your post.
    Also, I did not "pop off" as you so blithely suggest.
    The major facet that you are obviously missing regarding a successful business is your planned goals, one, three, five and ten years.
    The idea that you are questioning long term value of this industry means you haven't thought out what your goals are and should be.
    Hence, my response that you do not possess a thought out business plan thereby meaning you are not administrating properly.
    Work load, amount, scale of operations is completely meaningless unless you have a planned direction, which you apparently do not possess.
    Once you figure out what direction to take your business based upon a defined plan and strategy, your question will be answered.
    One additional comment - if you cannot take a response to a post without becoming aggrieved, then stop posting.