I don't think this Milky spore is working.......

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CRUZMISL, Jul 23, 2006.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hi All,
    With the big push towards organic lawncare I decided to try, on my own lawn, a granular milky spore product by St. Gabriels laboratory(http://www.milkyspore.com/milkyspore.htm). I started it 2 years ago since it takes a while to get full effectiveness. As usual, the organic app's cost a King's ransom but hey if it works right....

Anyway, I had some issues with annual bg this year and thought the dead looking areas of my lawn were the annual bg dying off in the summer heat. I went this afternoon to investigate further and I pulled up on huge patches of grass that was showing traces of green only to discover grubs below. :cry: :cry:

I am in zone 6 and I am thinking most of the larvae are beetles by now. Clearly I am going to have to reseed this fall but is it worth speading down some insecticide to minimize the impact? Any suggestions as to what? Lesco is close by.

Organic = overpriced garbage (IMHO of course) :)

Thanks!
    Joe

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You may think Milky Spore is garbage, and that's your opinion. My question is how good are you at identifying grubs? Do you know that Milky Spore only controls Japanese Beetle grubs? The type of grub may be the problem, and that's the downside of milky spore. If you want to use organics, nematodes might be the better option.

3. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Well, there were a few different types of grubs, some Japanese beetle grubs and chafer grubs as well so your point is well taken. I guess now, what is my best method of control? Will an insecticide kill off the milky spore that is already present in the lawn?

4. NattyLawn

That's a question I don't know the answer too. I'll do some poking around and get back to you.

5. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

Spray some Merit on them and be done with it

6. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

7. NattyLawn

If you're going to use chemicals, use Dylox, not Merit. It's granular, water in, and the grubs should die pretty quickly.

8. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Sounds good. It's cheaper too. I presume this isn't specific to a particular grub?

Thanks for the help.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

IMO Merit is the best product on the market for grubs prevention, if you find grub activity later in the season use Dylox.

10. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Well that's good to know for next year. I didn't even know they made a granular to be honest. I use it on a number of Linden trees in early spring since the japanese beetles tear them up too. These things are a huge PITA!!!!!

Thanks!