i don't understand how u guys do it...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Curious Porpoise, Sep 15, 2005.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

just started my business in late june and consequently i only own 1 'commercial' mower (i also own the finest 21" toro homeowner's mower $$$ can buy). Reason i say this is because i seem to be a little be confused. i can't fully use my 48" Lesco for several of my accounts. In fact, about 5 or 6 off of the top of my head of my 25 total accounts i can't fit the Lesco through the back gate. This instantly turned me off to my original plan--to buy a ZTR. But i keep on reading how amazing and efficient it is to own one of these pieces of equipment. Can some one please clear up this situation as to what people do about this problem--not being able to fit big mowers through the gate of the fence. Because of this little problem, i've been contemplating getting rid of my 48" Lesco all together, and go for a couple of those "Quick 36" i hear people raving about. I don't know, am i missing something here? Most people in my area have fenced in yards and i just don't know how much i'd be able to use one of these big monsters....

2. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

This is why I purchased a 34z from gravely

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

When I started out I had quite a few of those gated yards too. I would even remove sections of gate to get at them with my 36". As time went on I bought bigger mowers until I got my 60". I also started weeding out the jobs with little gates. Now I only have 8 jobs where the 36" comes off of the trailer and only 3 jobs where the 21" comes off of the trailer. Of the 8 36" jobs only 1 of them is because of a gate. The others are because of hills. Only 1 of the 21" jobs is because of a gate. I have no jobs where my 60" isn't used.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm trying to avoid jobs with fenced-in back yards, which a lot here at Lawnsite try to do. I have a 36, but it's a belt-drive machine and it, along with my 21, is a lot more work to operate than my 52 with hydro drives. Still, one must admit that in some neighborhoods, it's tough to avoid fenced yards.

Homes with fences can be profitable, but it's vital to recognize how much longer they take due to smaller mowers and, in most cases, addition trimmer time. Appropriate pricing hinges on this recognition and we all discover that folks with fences tend to chafe when they have to pay more than a neighbor with the same size lawn and no fence. Still, it can't be helped. I just tell people that it's more work so it's more money.

A business plan that takes in significant numbers of fenced-in back yards has to figure on the cost of a 36" mower with hydro drives. Belt-drive mowers are just too much work and take too long.

So if you're going to do customers with fences, you will sooner or later cough up for a 36" hydro. Alternately, you just avoid them altogether or you give a quote that gives 'em a heart attack. Not a pretty pair of options, but if there's a third way, I don't know what it might be.

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

You can often get through a fenced area by taking the clips off the fence, and moving it to the side. I do this on 2 properties. Then I tie back the fence with 2 pieces of silver rope when I'm done till next week.

See if you can adjust any of these 5 fences. Ask first! --Although they can always be put back the way they were.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Look at the Cub Commercial Z Wing Mower.

John

7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

We use a 36" Stander for backyards. It would also be quicker then using your 48" WB on the front yards.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you are making good money on these fenced properties then it is worthwhile to keep them. One idea is to talk to the homeowners and do one of 3 things. Ask if they will pay for you to put a bigger gate in OR you do the whole job at your expense OR split the cost and do the job. You will find that even if you have to put in a couple hundred bucks, it is worth it in the time you will save by getting a larger deck mower back there. Saved time is time to increase accounts, BTW when you increase target the ones with no fences.

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper to spend $100 bucks to replace that customer with one who has no fence than to cough up for the existing customer's new gate? I never understood the logic behind this sort of thinking.

10. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

34" Gravely ztr, 32" wright stander or a 36" walkbehind. Or if you can get the owner to put in a different gate.