"i don't understand this bill"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, advise me fella's, on this one. and i'll tell you, what i did: i pick up a customer, late, around july. charge her per service, as we are late in the season. provide 3 grasscuts @ $30 ea. send bill for $95.40. due date comes and goes, no dough. i make phonecall. she returns it, "i don't understand this bill." i tell her, it's very simple mam, 30x3=90 x.06 nj st sales tax, for a total of $95.40. ok, i get it a couple days later. next invoice goes out for 2 cuts $30x2=$60 + $3.60 tax = 63.60. due date comes and goes, she calls, "i don't understand this bill". again, i explain to her (she's a schoolteacher). check comes a few days later. next invoice- 2 cuts @ $30 ea, shrub trimming @ $75, lawn treatment @$45. phone call= " i don't understand this bill." that's it, i'm done w/this crap. i get that check, but, in the meantime another $30 cut was completed. i then cancel service, simply by, not showing up anymore. her outstanding balance is $30 + tax= $31.80. she is not paying the bill, because i stopped showing up. i stopped showing up, because she makes me sick. how do we handle this one?
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

How about just eating the last $30 and letting it go at that? Seriously, if you spend another hour or more on this, you're behind money.
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby-the best way to cancel service is not doing the "stop showing upi routine" unless the client is debt free on your records. If she dosent owe you any money, then who cares how you cancel, but if she does, not showing up just fuels the fire.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, then, how do u handle the above?
  5. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

Get the shovel!!!
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always try to get paid before I totally drop them. I know that it may be hard because the grass is still growing, yet you want to stop.

Usually people that I have dropped in the past are two to three months behind on paying their late bills...it's horrible
  7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Go by there on your regular mowing day for her. Knock on the door and present the last bill in person to her. Tell her you would like to collect before you mow again. Insist that you are not going to mow until you collect this one. If she pays for the old one only climb in your truck and get out of Dodge. Or you could tell her I need to collect for the old one and today's mowing too. If you collect for both do the mowing and then make up your mind if you want to keep her or not.

If she won't pay any at all it's up to you what you say next.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're always saying we should bring along a gift...make hers a calculator.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

nice 1 rod
  10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is worth the $30 to be rid of her.