"I don't want a riding mower in my yard"

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by FLAhaulboy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mow anymore & refer that work to a friend that mows yards. I called this lady back this morn & referred her to my friend. She asked if he used a "push" mower rather than a rider, I said no, he uses a commercial rider mower, she then stated, she'd already fired two companies that used a rider in her yard, she wants it push mowed instead. I said my friend might push it but he would charge more $ because it takes "longer" to push mow a yard. Bless her heart, She just couldn't understand WHY somebody would charge more to push instead of riding! I'd tried to explain the economics involved but it was a lost cause. I bet she fires my friend next:waving:

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Fire her first. She will be furious. It will be awesome.

3. ernieknows

ernieknows LawnSite Member

Ask them why?
    I have come across a few customers who said LCO ripped up their grass.
    Riders can do that.

4. terceslil

terceslil LawnSite Member

My neighbors have an acre and refuse to get a riding mower. They insist that their lawn "looks better" when mowed with a push mower. Set in their ways, you will never change their minds. My neighbors are two older women, the mother is about 80 and the daughter is probably 60. They start cutting grass on Wednesday and finish on Saturday or Sunday every week. I would say that is pretty determined to not have a riding lawn mower on their lawn.

5. determined is not the word I was thinking.

6. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My 36" WB cut is noticably better than my ZTR's. My WB is several years old. My ZTR (Bobcat Procat) is new.

"I" can mow faster with my ZTR. Conceded. But, if I only used WB's, I could mow (within reason re: size of lawn) LESS expensively (less overhead).

On a 1/4ac. sized lawn (for example), a person ONLY utilizing WB's could probably mow less expensively than someone utilizing a ZTR (I would think). I know the cut would be better if I used (and, I do, sometimes) my WB on lawns this size (with items to trim around).

I'm not saying the customer in this instance is thinking this way (at all). Just thinking out-loud.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Disclaimer *prices subject to change due to ignorant customers foolish demands*
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Any time you find yourself having to explain your price, that is the first clue that you should run.

You don't have to explain why the price is the price or why you use a particular mower.

I paid $9k for a z, and dammit I am gonna use it!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

What happens in my opinion is that the front wheels of the bigger mowers will rip the turf on the smaller yards due to lots of turning sharply ...Mostly i see this on the yards where you would have to backup a little bit to turn ..The wheels grab and spin 180 degrees and if the turf is week or wet it will just pull it and actually move the whole area a few inches ...Its a little spot we are talking but its enough for the homeowner to notice ....Thats just what i think is happening here ..

10. I agree with both sides. Not sure how big this lady's yard is, but some yards are just too small for a Z. There are companies around here that run 60" dixies on yards that truly need a 21". However, if a yard can take a Z and look good, that's what it gets.
    Posted via Mobile Device