I don't want her yard to die!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

Two weeks ago we sowed tall fescue in a customer's yard. We then fertilized the yard and went on. Yesterday I went to mow the yard and it was like a dandelion forest! She was upset at the CO-OP for selling her seed with dandelions in it, because we did the same thing last year and there were no dandelions so she figured it must of been the seed. I told her that I would come by and spread weed and feed (2,4-d) to kill the dandelions. This was recomended by a landscaping buddy of mine. I don't want her yard to be huge patches of lush grass and the rest just dirt. I really value this customer because she leaves us alone and lets us work with out hassling us. i don't want her yard to die!
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Don't put down wed & feed yet!!!! The new grass needs to be mowed at least 4-5 times before any weed control is applied.

Dandelions travel EVERYWHERE, if no pre-m was done since you were seeding and now is the prime time for them to germinate then there is no way to stop them right now. Tell them to be patient and allow time. I always tell folks to expect weeds the first year, you can't do everything at once.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

pre-m does not prevent all dandelions. a healthy turf and a spraying of tri-mec in spring and fall ( germination time) will kill young dande's before you see em. dave g
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the best bet is wait til fall. grass to tender
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Tell her to make a salad out of the dandilions and chill out for a while. Why are you trying to mow it so soon? You should be waiting at least 3 weeks before the 1st mow. Longer if possible.
  6. Definantly don't spray or use weed-n-feed yet. As Kirbylawns pointed out the new grass needs to be mowed at least 4-5 times before you use any type of post emergant to control the dandelions. You might want to take a look at the surrounding lawns to see if they have dandelions. Dandelion seeds are wind blown and they can travel quite a ways on the wind, much like thistles do. You might want to educate this customer on how the dandelion seeds spread.

I had a customer ask about spraying for weeds in their lawn this spring. I explained to her that it would be best to wait until after the lawn had been cut a few times since it had been overseeded and that the new seedlings needed to be stronger before a post emergant was used. She was very receptive to this, she told me they had overseed in the past and then put down a weed-n-feed afterwards to fertilize and kill the weeds. I then explained to her that this was a contributing factor as to why the past years the overseeding had failed. The herbicide was preventing the seed from germinating, and what seed did sprout quickly died from the herbicide.

Her previous lawn care company had not explained these things to her. They just did what she wanted and took her money.
  7. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

This yard is an established yard which we OVERSEEDED 2-3 weeks ago. We were the lawn service that has been with her for about a year now. Do you think the weed'n feed will hurt her yard even now??
  8. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I belive that dandelions are fairly easy to kill, not like chickweed, sorrel or ground ivy, you may be able to use Dicamba or Mecoprop which won't be as harsh on newly sprouted turf. If you use 2,4 D on any seedlings they will die. Your best bet is to check with your chem. supplier. They may be able to come up with a formulation that will give you control, if not eradication, untill your turf has matured enough to use 2,4 D.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with the above posts, what you have to watch out for is the new seedlings, the old turf will be fine.