i don't want my grass cut while it's wet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 28, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do you ever get this? so far i've heard, "don't cut my grass when it's wet, it doesn't cut good." and, "let me ask you something, what is the benefit of cutting grass when it's wet?" my reply, #1," i have 60 lawns a week to mow, it rained 3 out of 5 days so far, i have no choice." reply #2, "eating and living indoors." wtf, these people think i'm enjoying this?

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We mow wet grass all the time in the spring and fall. If we are a day late on our properties its going to be wet anyway because of the sprinklers. So unless its a monsoon we are going to try like hell to stay on schedule.

3. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:cool: Bobby, Here in central Fla. when the rain start, it can rain day after day. In the early years I would run around, back and forth, Saturday and Sunday to get my route done. That was then this is now. " No it's not ideal conditions, but the mower dosn't know that, I'm the one wet and miserable, either I cut it now or next week--- maybe". I'm a lot like you, i simply won't baby people.

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the pacific northwest i LOVE to hear people say that. i say, ok, call me in June when it quits raining.

5. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

What do you mean June? Everybody here says that summer doesn't begin untill after July 4!!!

I have a client who has me down to cutting when its "dry". There was a stretch of 5 days in Feb between rain drops and I sent the crew to mow, but the grass was still wet at ground level. The lady was upset that the grass was "cut when it was wet"!

In March, it had been 6 weeks from that Feb cut, when my customer chased my crew off the lawn in a sprinkle and the work was half done. I was the bad guy for "cutting in the rain". We were allowed back in to finish the job and recut everything 6 days later!!

I've talked about telling her where to jump, but its a good account that pays well. I thought she would tell us where to "stick it", but she must like what we do since we are still there.

6. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

I dont do lawn care so I'm clueless about this... but can mowing while wet spread disease? Or are there any other ill effects?

Or is it just hard on my 21" push mower?;)

andy

7. Acute Cut

Here is just another average day for us out here. This is this last tuesday afternoon and my employee was playing with the camera as we were finishing up the job. FUN! We got one inch of rain that day.

rainy tuesday.jpg

8. Acute Cut

OOps, stephan M. I almost forgot to reply to your statement. DONT SAY THAT! I was being optomistic that this year we would see ALL the fire works and not just the ones that blow up before hitting the clouds. Rain always does seem to quit the day AFTER the fourth though doesnt it. Last year i sat on the beach with a bunch of other people and watched fireworks in the rain. FUN!
    Well, now we are Jinxed thanks to you man. lol.