1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"I don't want that garbage on my lawn"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 31, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We treated a 15,000 sq ft lawn in Norwalk a week ago, but the PG unit ran out of herbicide halfway through the back yard. So I returned yesterday to finish spraying the lawn (new sign-up full of creeping Charlie, and he's a one-time shot). I just finished spraying the back yard when the next door neighbor (retired man) approached me and says, "Hey, you got spray on my lawn". "I don't want that 'garbage' on my property". :nono:

I apologized. The property line was difficult to determine as they share the same driveway. (The two foot area in question was chalk-full of creeping Charlie!!!, and that's why I sprayed it).

After reeling up my hose, this neighbor approached me asking if I knew "so and so lawn care".........I said, "I think I've heard of him" (small local operator that mostly mows). Then this neighbor was very nice to me. He told me that he mows high in the summer, and my customer scalps his lawn....That's when he asked for an estimate!:hammerhead:

From "don't get that garbage on my lawn" to "give me an estimate"........what a turn around!

Anybody else have this happen? rscvp Thanks:usflag:
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

That is what some elderly people do. They are a mixed bag of potatoes that have endured through alot of stuff through the years.
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think you're right dude. I'm sure this guy grew up in the "Depression era" (just like my folks on the farm in NW Iowa). Once they trust you, you have a friend for life. (A hand shake was a contract back in the good days). Never had a key to lock our doors. Churches were never locked either. America has certainly changed.....too bad.:usflag:
  4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

back in the day when a mans word meant something..and his name meant something also....we as a country have lost that...a man's word doesn't mean anything nor does his word.....
  5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

I find generally angry people, will burn out their hostility if you are polite and then become agreeable.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I had a guy next door tell me my spray was affecting his wife's allergies. Insisted i call ahead so they could drive out of the area. Or spray before fall. Told me he could tell the chemicals had already affected my brain.

I am not good at this --but I tried to be nice. Two years later he insisted I use his lawn tractor and spreader so i would not have to push a spreader for a dry ap.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the all time best line! I finish an app, truck is packed up, paperwork done, as im posting the caution sign, the next door neighbor walks over to me, points to the sign and says my dog cant read that, true story!
  8. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i would have told him to keep his dog in his own yard....
  9. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Thats funny as hell.........nope, the dog can't but obviously he can!