I dunno about you guys but...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Sep 9, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen several people on this site who like to single cut because it takes less time. That may be good for you guys and the type of grasses you mow, but I love the way a double cut lawn looks. Look at some of Eric's great pics (that's how my nice lawns look except I use a 48" GD w/b with Velkie). I don't think that a single cut can come close to that look. I double cut 95% of my client's lawns. They love it, and I love the pay off and compliments. By the way, I am one of about 3 LCO's that does double cut up here out of about 63 LCO's in my area. How do you guys feel about double cuts vs. single if you get paid better for a double?

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I only double cut if there are clumps or if the lawn just didn't give an even cut. Usually my Lazer Z does an excellent job the first time. Have you tried doubles? They can eliminate the whole double cutting idea. But I agree, it is nice to have 2 clean pattens on a lawn, especially if the lawn doesn't hold the stripes from the previous week. For me however, its not worth the money to spend that extra time, I would rather move onto another account.

3. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I run doubles and usually double cut.
    I like those smooth bright stripes :)

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Esby, we only double cut if needed. Most of my lawns hold a decent stripe from one week to the next. Here is an example. The lawn across the street that you can see has not been cut yet, so those stripes are one week old going the one direction and the other direction is 2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

This is one of the same lawn after it was cut. Digital pictures are dated, so this is how I know for sure. ;)
    BTW, this lawn has not been fertilized for over 6 years. It is irrigated from water taken from the lake they have. I guess fish and geese droppings must be doing the trick. :) These pictures were taken during our worst dry spell since I've started mowing.

[​IMG]

5. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

You didn't touch up that picture did you Eric? Just kidding. The stripes look good.

6. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Ahhh....Eric! Why don't we have any lawns like that in good ol' Oklahoma??? It makes me want to cry...I'd love to cut that yard.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Stop over on a Wednesday, this is when I cut it. :)

If you like lawn pictures, click the gif below and then click the picture on my home page to see 55 more.

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an exmark. I rarly need to dupble cut lawns. They dont look much better when I do because it ussaly does a great job the first time. IF you do the lawn once a week and as long as the lawn isnt wet most the time you wont need to double cut. I think if you have to double cut lawns 95% of the time it might be the mowers faulght.

9. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I think if you have to double cut lawns 95% of the time it might be the mowers fault. Not so, GD Scamper w/b. I double cut 95% of the time bacause it completly eliminates ANY grass clippings on the top of the grass. It looks like I bagged it, it's better for the grass, makes an even more even cut, and makes a better pattern. The only time I don't is if it's very dry and the grass doen't grow hardly at all.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Summitgroundskeeping took the words right out of my mouth. I do whatever it takes to make the lawn look as good as it can. If it means double or triple cutting, so be it.