I feel like a dummy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Jun 20, 2005.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Almost done for the day on my way to the last property and a lady pulls up beside me at a red light and all I heard was your trailer gate is down. I tell my helper to jump out and put it up ....he comes back and says its gone. We turn around and about 2 miles back off in the grass is the gate to my trailer. Apparently my helper forgot to put it up and it dragged the road for about 1/2 mile before it slid off the hinges. We never heard it dragging.....my 36" exmark was within inches of falling off the trailer when the woman stopped and told us. The gate was ok not warped or anything and we both learned a lesson that didnt cost me anything and luckily no one was hurt.

2. Local_LawnZ

Local_LawnZ LawnSite Member

You must have a nice stereo sytem! (Or did you leave your ear muffs on?) :D

Anyway, glad it all worked out for you (no major damages/injuries). The gate is bad enough, no telling what might have happened to your mower. I'd be sure to ride that employee for quite awhile but since you were driving I'd accept some of the responsibility just the same.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It probably fits the street better when folded down, anyways.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How in the hell did you not hear your gate dragging I would love to know??? :dizzy:

5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Is your trailer like a 30 footer or something? I am struggling to understand how you could not hear it, it had to be making an ungodly noise. If you had your stereo jammin' I could believe it. But man, just think how much damage it could have done if someone got hit by it when it flew off? You got off real lucky bro. Always, always, once my mower goes on, gate goes up.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Turn radio down and keep your AC off with windows down and maybe you can hear it!

7. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

:rolleyes:
    Your proving it

Must be driving sound/Vibration proof cab truck's with no rear mirriors , Tells me i wouldnt want to meet any of em on the road if they never glance in a mirror and To deaf to hear a loud ass gate dragging the road ,

8. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how fast were you going during all of this?

9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear you lost nothing, but a strapped down machine, won't fall off either :cool: As the driver, you should have checked out your rig too, as it would be you to get any tickets. :nono:

10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

I wonder if they make something like a brake-away thing that will;l beep in side the truck if its not up and or comes down ???this seems to happen alot but a strap will insure that new mower don't fall off and kill someone i wouldn't care about the gate what if it hit someone or made someone wreck if you were mad about it getting messed up and not what could have happened i see something wrong with that