I feel like a total dumb a$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 19, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Friday I was in a nicer neighborhood that I cut I big corner lot. Anyways these three girls that I'm guessing live there were out jogging, while on my Z the all smiled as they passed me and for some reason I waved. I felt like a ******, as they probably thought that I was some poor LCO that never finished high school. I think a lot of people get mixed feelings about us, like we are scrub blue collar workers. BTW the girls were real pretty and around 18-20 yrs old.

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The best advice I was ever given was to "just do your thing." Let everyone else think what they want. I cant help but feel that way sometimes too. I just want to put a huge sign on my mower that says, "I am in college and I own my own business. I am not a loser 21 year old drop out."

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

So if you had not waved, would that have changed anything?

Shoulda stopped and gotten their phone numbers...

4. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

your not proud of what you are?

5. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I wave at anyone in the neighborhood who waves first...and if they look like a potential customer I beat them to the punch. Why should you feel like a dumb-azz for waving to some girls out jogging? Leering is something else altogether, however. I make more money than most of my clients and live in a nicer house...who's too good to wave to who? I don't get it...I have a business to run and couldn't care less if I'm sitting on a ZTR or picking weeds out of a bed...choose to be friendly or not, it's your choice period.

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

What's the point..........just because you wave don't mean they think you're a looser!

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I love the work I do. Sure the money I spent on trucks and equipment could put me in a nicer house with a BMW for me and my girl but hey, I'm only 20 and I would rather be enjoying the outdoors than a lame desk job. I just felt out of place waving to these girls its no big deal. O well 2 of them wave back at me when outside their house now.

8. Maybe next time don't have your tounge hanging and drooling.

9. StumpBuster

StumpBuster LawnSite Member

Please take the following as a bit of constructive criticism/lesson in life.

DON'T BE A FOOL :angry:

The first thing I checked was your profile for your age. I guessed it.
    Hold your head up and be proud !! At the very least , you earn your money !!

Who the **** cares what people think about you (as a have or have not).

Usually , the guy who drives an older vehicle , looks like he could use a new pair of Levis , lives in an older house , etc., has a lot of $$$ in the bank, and wants for nothing. I am talking about my orthopedic surgeon.

Who knows, with hard work, and yeah, a little luck , your operation may grow someday into a successful $$$$ company.

In the mean time just continue to work hard, have pride in yourself and what you do, be who you are...be honest with yourself.

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

They waved at you first. That should tell you something. If they thought you were a loser, they wouldn't have waved at all...........they would have been pointing and laughing.