1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I feel like Bobbygedd

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skmodmsl, Jun 11, 2004.

1. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

I really have to say that I feel like Bobbygedd. He seems to get the winners as customers. I finally had the chance to get a feel for the Bobbygedd experience.

I get a call from a lady 3 months ago. She wants some dead branches removed from her yard. Also she wants dead logs placed around certain areas to cut down on erosion. I do as asked as well as mow her back yard ( small yard and tight gate- 22" will do). I finish the work an approximately an hour and charge my hourly rate. She pays me extra because she was happy with my work. We agree on a price for weekly mowing ( yard is small and I price accordingly- lady wants to pay for what I charge for a big yard). I figure home run. Lady says I'll call you when I need you to mow the grass ( grass wasn't growing yet at the time). I figure wow I can't believe it ! Well-----

About the time to cut the grass the lady calls and tells me "I found an older man to do my yard work". "I won't be needing your services". I thanked the lady for the call. I also thanked her for the chance to do the completed work. Nothing aggrivates me more then to pull up to an expected job and find the work done by someone else. The lady saved me from aggrivation.

About a week ago this lady calls and says that her current "young" lawn guy isn't doing a good job. The lady has since fell down and broken the upper thigh bone in her leg (80 + years old) and is getting around with a walker.

I agree to mow the lawn at the end of the week ( it fit my schedule for that particular area of town - around the corner from home too !). I pull up to find the lawn beautifully manicured. I said hmm perhaps signals were crossed between her and her former LCO. I could find nothing wrong with the mans work. It was impeccable ! So I go home and call the lady. I didn't want to disturb her as she is having trouble getting around. She answers the phone and says oh my sister is here caring for me and she called the guy. I said no problem. I also explained that the man who mowed the lawn did an exquisite job.

The lady calls the following week to say that the man just isn't getting the job done and I need you ! She leaves messages one after another and when I contact her she says that she likes to be called back.

I see a pattern here. No matter what is done it will not be good enough. In the beginning you showed feelings of little faith in my work by telling me you hired "an older man". Then you call and say that the "young" man whom you hired isn't doing a good job.

Needless to say I didn't bother to contact the lady. Hopefully she goes away.
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

can you say pita with alzhiemers.

when I first started advertising, I had a lady who would call me every morning between 8-8:30AM. She would want me to come out and give her a quote. Each morning I would explain to her that she is out of my area and that she would be better served by someone closer.

After about the 10th call ( I knew her name and number by then). I would say, Helen, I am glad you called today, but unfortunately I haven't started working in your area, so no I won't be over this afternoon to give you an estimate.

She would say, oh I guess we already spoke, I will scratch your name off.

they don't mean wrong, just not always all there.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

you both handled those situations in a professional manner. i have had a few of those, and although bothersome at times, you have to remember that they just can't help it. Be respectful and be patient....they will get the idea