I feel like i need more practice!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Heath, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

Gave two bids today got both jobs but the funny thing is the way it went down. On the first bid I over compensated for having to get off my ZTR in order to push mow or weed eat. The lawn was at a local restaraunt had about half acre land about a 100 feet in front of push mowing or weed eating on a hill. I bid $65. That may be alot high I dont know! NEw to this stuff! But he was like I can get it done for less than fourty. I didnt think I could do the job for that due to the push mowing and time. Did I initially overprice?
    I feel I did! But the good thing is he gave me the job! What do you guys think?

The second was a easy yard a guy gave me a tip on no prob mowing with ZTR Not much trimming either. I told the woman $25 to mow/weed/blowthe grass and she was like I was going to give the guy who gave me the yard $30 but since you said $25 we can do it for that. I was like doh!
    All in all funny day. I had the jitters when giving an estimate both times do any one else have those?

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

The confidence will come naturally. Just set your mind to not really caring if u get it and things go much better. This year Im trying to lower my clientele and down size a little so I really dont want new accounts. So far Ive been asked for several estimates (exposure) and Ive bidded all high. Only lost two out of seven :dizzy: . Just dont budge and youll be better off.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea the confidence will come...i think im a good salesman. I kinda comes with practice, but you also have to be good with words and not get tounge tied.

4. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I'm where I want to be with enough accounts, but it seems like every time someone ask me to give them an estimate I overprice it(much higher than I would have done it for in the past) and it seems I keep getting the jobs...lol
    I guess I need to stop bidding or i'm gonna have to start working weekends just to stay caught up.....:dizzy:

5. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

Must be great to be that confident! I just get jittery on the inside. It isn't any telling what makes it to the outside. Slurred speach! I have to work on my carisma I believe!

6. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

In another thread I just responded to I mentioned I always try to ask what the old LCO charged.Many times it was more than what I was going to tell them, sometimes its not and I have to tell them I am higher. Point is the times when I was going to bid cheaper I made money by having an inside track to how much they are willing to pay. Try that next time just to see if it works for you.

7. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

you should be happy you have a price wich you think is too high. I try and price all my jobs very high. Just make sure you give them superior service and make it worth it to them

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought it was better to take your time. I was asked to give a quote last night and I told the guy I will be there today to measure. I will draw up an estimate and return it tonight or tomorrow morning.