I Feel Terrible, Would'nt you too!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gatewayuser, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I feel terrible the customer that I thought beat me out of $700 in mowing's two months ago is terribly sick. He wanted to kill himself yesterday so they took him to the mental hospital. He has a really bad disease that he got from a foreign country and the doctors have no way of making him better. He can't stand the pain any more what ever he has is eating the inside of him, literally, it's some sort of parasite. His wife has left him which explains why I can't get a hold of her either. I sent a letter the other day telling him that he is 60 days late and needs to pay now. Now I feel bad and I am thinking of sending him another letter forgiving the debt. I also feel bad because I stopped mowing his lawn because of no payment and now I realize he can't do it himself or hire anyone else. He owns his own business which he can't run now which also means he has no income. One of my employees said I should ask for one of his enclosed trailers that he never uses in trade for lawn service but that seems kind of wrong.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nope sounds right to me. Pull a mechanics lean on his stuff for the money owed. What goes around comes around baby!

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though he is dying??? He probably had the intentions to pay me.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Not your fault he's dying, not your businesses fault he's dying. Business is business..people even go after you to pay bills AFTER your dead. If it makes you feel better do that but you will prolly have to wait in line and can't be sure there will be enough $$ left to pay you.
    You don't forgive debts because people get sick. Hey I got a soft heart but not when it comes to loosing money.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You worked hard for your money. I am sure that even he doesn't want you to be stiffed...People do have a concience when they are dying.

6. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

The trailer idea sounds good. Maybe he doesn't have the money to pay you and that'd be good for the both of you. Then what, are you going to continue service? I'd try talking to him and maybe come up with a solution, but take the trailer if he'll do it,, (before you end up with nothing!)

7. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

If you take some action now so you will at least be able to prove the estate owes you after his death. I'M sure he dosent care what happens to his possessions after he is gone and if his wife left him when he needed her most why should she get whats due you? Same goes for any other family he has if they aren't around now when he needs them.

8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

dont bring emotions into business

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

EXACTLY. business is business. emotions are for family and the bedroom, not work.

I'd try to find out if he'd be willing to make a deal with you for something, if so then do that. I'm quite sure he'll be reasonable if he's always paid on time, so just ask and see. it cant hurt any.

10. SeaSouth

SeaSouth LawnSite Member

Any one can write a check to their favored charity, but there are few times in life that we have the opportunity to be charitable to an individual that may really make a difference to their life. True this is only lawn care, but it is one less thing he needs to worry about. The simple act of kindness could really lift his sprits tremendously.

If it wasnÂ’t of any major consequence to me I would forgive the bill and continue service pro bono. Then just take the tax write off as a donation

It is true what goes around comes around.
    The question is what do you want coming back around to you?
    Being kind and compassionate is never a bad thing.