I feel threaten by other landscapers..... Please read even though its long

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by soloscaperman, Jul 14, 2009.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I am getting a lot of lawns in this new development where the homes go for $800,000 + I can't help that my lines are straight, I edge near the curb and beds with my trimmer and cleanup the curbs and roads.

The problem is that I am "stealing" work from this same guy and I have notice on the new lawns beer bottles smashed on the side of the road and in the grass, garbage, etc. I got a new one a few days ago just because I mowed grass that was 3 feet tall because the town or the builder never mowed it and all the people in that area smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Well this guy walks far from his house and looks at me and says your "HIRED" and says can you start this week. He says that I see you work hard and I can tell you work hard and like doing your job. He said you know that no one would mow this area not even for $150, I mowed prolly about 40 by 200 with my new mower and it didn't even bog and didn't leave clumps.

I feel that landscapers in that area hate me I got 6 more in that area and the lawn I "stole" is from a nice guy that always waives at me and his mexican workers. When the other company that I took like 4 of his which I now have about 12 homes in the same street gives me a dirty look like I'm gonna kill you and saw his red truck near my house awhile back and thats when I felt threaten. he parked 3 homes down and just sat there spyin at me and my house.

All of the homes that I got were word of mouth from one guy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

#uck em.

Seriously....who cares, it's part of the game.

If your winning over work / accounts because of your work and not your prices...then that's awesome and something we all strive for.

It's a different story if your price is below the market rate.

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

My prices are about the same or $5 cheaper

4. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

You ever see that Sopranos' episode with the "Lawn Boys"?

Better watch yourself :laugh:

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

If you were really threatened you have every right to call the cops. There is this psycho that I run into now and then. Its a long story but I went to the cops about him last fall. He even showed up last year at the farm I store my equipment at. The owner of the farm doesn't tolerate tresspassers and carries a gun with in his truck. If I see this psycho on his farm again I have permission to call 911 and report this guy as a tresspasser to the police.

6. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Call your mom.

Seriously don't worry about it its part of the game.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

your not even close to charging enough................

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

smile and wave to him, it makes things more fun and shows youve got a set

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

That's the best approach. Give him a little toot on the horn if he doesn't see you. Or next time you see him spying on you, walk right over, smile, introduce yourself, shake his hand. I do that stuff all the time, and I'm no tough guy.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Uh oh, me thinks it could be someone's lowballing.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009